Canberra Captures National Series

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Canberra mountain bike riders dominated the final of the National Four Cross at Kurrrajong, west of Sydney today. National Four Cross Champion, Caroline Buchanan won and now claims wins in every series round. The 17 year old did not have an easy run in the sixth round today with national downhill champion Joanne Fox in the field. But it was fellow Canberra rider, Julia Boer, who laid down the challenge by passing Buchanan in the first 20 metres of the women's final.

“In the third moto Julia did the same move so I knew she could do that,” explained Buchanan. “I just knew there were four different spots on the track I could pass her and the first one worked.”

For Buchanan the variety of tracks over the six round series has boosted her confidence as she heads into defend her national title in two weeks time at Mt Stromlo.

“We’ve had rocks, really flat ones like BMX tracks and really steep ones like this one,” Buchanan said. “Going into the nationals I feel really confident with all the different practice on different tracks which has been good.”

Brisbane rider, Adam Nicholson (The Gap) , 30 won the men's final despite crashing along with four finalists. However after crashing Nicholson saw his bike land past him and was the quickest to get underway and sped down the steep course with series leader, Leigh Darrell in hot pursuit.

"It's the first elite after a lot of years racing. It was a long time coming. I knew I had it in me,"said Nicholson.

Canberra based, Darrell claimed the elite men’s overall series but was unlucky to crash while in the lead today. Even with second place, Darrell had ample points after winning three of the six national rounds earlier in the season.

“This is my first time in elite and the first year I have done a whole series,” grinned Darrell.

Darrell will now face riders like current national champion, Luke Madill at the championships but not before fine tuning his bike.

“I’ll just do a few bike modifications and see how I go,” said Darrell.

Other Canberra riders, Mic Longhurst won his race today and the overall veteran series while 13 year old Max Hughes placed third but had ample points to take out the 15 boys overall series.

In other races today Danielle Beecroft and Matt Walker and won the Under 19 women and men's respectively. Ryan Henderson won the Under 17 race and takes out the series overall.

Riders now prepare for the Toyota MTBA National Mountain Bike Championships over the Australia Day weekend.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

pyley

NSWMTB
thanks to all the riders and spectators for there great support over the weekend.. thanks also to all my boys from pylet and to doug dunn and his team for thier great work in getting both tracks ready for racing. thanks also go out to steve humphries, jim and sally hatcher and the rest of the volunteers.. without these hard working individuals this weekend would not have happened.

it was great to see so many happy faces after racing, i only heard a few complaints from the usual suspects, but all in all i believe the weekend was a success..

congrats to ryan hunt for taking out the series u17s..

i'd also like to give credit to cody/bogen, won every moto and binned it in the final... still he congratulated his competitors at the end of the track, and was all smiles...

big up to foxy for her great work in the final.. she has just gotten back on the bike after a titanium inplant in her shoulder and is on track for a good race at stromlo...

kurrajong mtnx track will be open for riding every saturday from now on... details to be posted later in the week at www.pylet.com

once again thanks to all

peace out

brett jones
pylet.com

barnesy

Likes Dirt
Mtnx Nationals Best Yet

I don't know about the rest of the spectators but I reckon this series I saw the best racing on the best tracks we have ever seen in MTNX/4X in Australia. Stu Plant and I comentated at every race and I have to tell you, when the racing is this good, we've got a hell of an enjoyable job to do.
Rnd 1 - Syd Olymp Park - Big thanks to Stu & Bright Orange crowd
Rnd 2 - Syd Olymp Park - it's a tame track but a good place to get new riders into MTBing
Rnd 3 - The Illinbah crew. FortheRiders. UMF & Annaconda put up an awesome track
Rnd 4 - Thredbo & RAWNRG crew - Best track there to date, awesome first corner, tech.
Rnd 5 - Ebenezer - Dougy Dunn his Family, Steve Humphries & WSMTB crew, bring on the
rocks, drops & jumps!
Rnd 6 - Kurr.Heights - Pylet.com guys & gals, Steve & WSMTB (again) introduced speed to the series with some sweet changes to THE fastest Aussie MTNX track & some nice size jumps.
5 X TRACKS, ALL DIFFERENT. You really had to be an all round rider to Win this series.
Congrats. to all the Riders. If you raced you were a winner, if you sat out for anything other than injury....your loss. MTNX getting closer to where it should be (my opinion)....... 4 man, short course downhill, with jumps.
See you all at Stromlo

Micl

Likes Bikes
National 4x

Got to agree... Great series I rode at all events and loved it. There was a huge variety from fast to tech to mud. Thanks to all the organisers and people that put in the work building tracks. Its a small sport with lots of people putting in time and despite a few issues I think everyone involved did a great job and all events were successful. Hopefully all will turn up in Canberra for the nationals especially you other old guys :)

Mic