Can I swap brake hoses from Elixir to Code?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The deal is I just bought a code rear brake for my bike. The bike currently has a Elixir on the front and juicy 7 on the rear, now I want to swap the elixir to the rear replacing the juicy and then use the new code as my front brake.

So I need to completely swap the hose from the elixir to the code, looks good at the levers but at the caliper I'm not sure if it can be done?

Here is a photo of the fittings.

cheers.

macca21

Likes Dirt
It can be done, but it's not reversable because the elixir caliper connection is press fitted. If the caliper end is cut then all that's needed is a set of compression nut, olive and barb to get the hose to fit the code.
The code caliper and lever connections are the same as each other so it's easy to do.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It can be done, but it's not reversable because the elixir caliper connection is press fitted. If the caliper end is cut then all that's needed is a set of compression nut, olive and barb to get the hose to fit the code.
The code caliper and lever connections are the same as each other so it's easy to do.
Thanks mate,

How does that silver fitting on the elixir caliper come off, does it unscrew out of the red bit?

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Doing a bit of reading on the forums and it seems Elixir uses a different fitting to all other Avid brakes at the caliper so the only solution is to buy a new Elixir hose or go to a Goodridge kit or similar.

VTSS350

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried unscrewing the hose from the red fitting on the Elixir?

Not sure but it might screw into the fitting on the code

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have you tried unscrewing the hose from the red fitting on the Elixir?

Not sure but it might screw into the fitting on the code
Yes Avid were kind enough to spec a different thread size on the Elixir compared to all their other brakes :rolleyes:

I have now put the Code on the front using the spare olives and barbs I had already and the hose from the Elixir. Now I have to buy a Elixir hose kit so I can put it on the rear. Since I already have plenty of hose maybe a Jagwire fitting off ebay will be the cheapest way but I'm not sure if those fittings work with standard Avid hose?

Jagwire fittings on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Jagwire-HyFl...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c140cf41b

Sean

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They look identical to the fitting that I just undid on my elixir lever a few days ago...