Can I lace any brand rim to my DT Swiss straight pull hubs ?

heavyp

You heard it here first
I have a 2016 Giant Reign and the rims are average to say the least (DT Swiss M 1700), I was just curios if I can but new rims and lace them up to the existing hubs as they use straight pull spokes.

Any info would be great and sorry for such a noob question, I did good it I just could find anything.

andrew9

Likes Dirt
You can probably use the current spokes too. You need to look up the ERD of the current rims, and find new rims with the same ERD.
If the current spokes are too long/short you can round up or down 1-2mm, so pull the tyre off to see how far the nipples are on the spoke.
Apparently manufacturers get ERD wrong in their listings occasionally, so there is some risk the sizes will be wrong anyway

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
You can lace a straight pull or j bend hub to any rim once the hole count is the same. As above, you "may" be able to reuse spokes but I wouldn't select a rim based on old spokes, I'd buy the rim that suits my needs the most and cough up for new spokes if you need them.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
All that needs to match is the number of spoke holes; how the spokes attach to the hub is irrelevant. If the profile depth of the new rim is within a couple of millimetres or so of the current rim you'll be able to use the existing spokes, but if it's much more different then you'll need new ones to suit.

heavyp

You heard it here first
All good thanks guys I'm looking at a DT Swiss EX 471 28h but can't seem to find any in oz for sale or in stock.

Im not sure what other brands to look at being 28h, I want the strongest and lightest as possible as we all do but yeah ideally id prefer a 32h rim for the rear as it takes the most abuse and I'm on the wrong side of 100kg's but don't really want to pay for a hole new hub/wheel.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
All good thanks guys I'm looking at a DT Swiss EX 471 28h but can't seem to find any in oz for sale or in stock.

Im not sure what other brands to look at being 28h, I want the strongest and lightest as possible as we all do but yeah ideally id prefer a 32h rim for the rear as it takes the most abuse and I'm on the wrong side of 100kg's but don't really want to pay for a hole new hub/wheel.
What's the issue with your current rim?
A full rebuild, spokes, nipples + decent australian bought rim could cost you close on a full prebuilt wheel.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

I was looking at those recently (but in 26“) and the cheapest I found was hibike.
https://www.hibike.com/dt-swiss-ex-...pple-washer-pc3687e7e4d3e914c80e840c682545d2f

They even come with nipples. Only issue is the delivery which is a flat rate of about 22 euro. Not so bad if you load up of a few other things while you are there.

ozdavo

Likes Dirt
Have you looked at Nextie rims? PremiumMTB are the Australian distributor.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk