VIC Can i build a downhill track here?

motas

Likes Bikes
Hey. So we have 40 acres of land about 500m from where im living now and then we move there. I just got my downhill bike so I'd like to build a track there but I'm not sure if theres enough space or whether its steep enough. Anyway heres some pics in order:

I don't think theres any paddocks going there but the house is going near it so I have to stick to the fence side and near the dam. The bottom is fairly swampy but I can probably fill a dirt track in with the massive pile of dirt from the house cut out. I could probably also find some crates for one of those tracks whatever there called. Anyway what do the experts think?
Also how legal is it to make a track down the sides of a rode? Theres a big straight hill right near my house with a few trees on the sides. Its a road according to google maps so I'm allowed to ride there but it has trees overgrown across it and branches falling down on it and its just a strip of grass. It doesn't go anywhere except a back gate to a tiny farm and the back of a town house and I cant see any wheel marks and theres an ancient unlatched gate on the road end of it. I could make a slow swervy track to the bottom without taking over the only part that can be driven but i dunno if i should or not.
Thanks.

motas

Likes Bikes
Thats what I'm worried about. Thats why i posted the pics. Do you think its steep enough to be any fun?
Thanks.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
motas;2500610Also how legal is it to make a track down the sides of a rode? [/QUOTE said:
Technically its not if you don't own the land or have the permission of the land owner. You might get away with it where you are or you might put in a heap of work and then have someone come and tear it all down because you didn't get permission.

I reckon if you have access to land that you own then build there because you can do what you want and don't risk loosing it. It doesn't look like you have enough hills for a downhill track but I reckon you could make some awesome berm tracks down those slopes you show in your photos, zig zag across the slope with bermed corners and perhaps some double jumps on the way down and you could have a lot of fun.

041210dsberm1.jpg

041210dslaunch.jpg

motas

Likes Bikes
Any idea how i find out who owns it? Local council is horrible for everything so I doubt id even have a chance at getting it legally if they own it. Ill take a pic tomorrow though its not even a lane way. I was thinking something like above might be good and then finish with like a drop off the dam wall but i need to go have a proper explore. How well would it work if I start with like a big drop in with crates or dirt or something then some fast berms down the first bit into a few big jumps and stuff then if i have enough speed go round to the back of the dam and drop off the wall? Dunno if it would be any good having no experience in downhill though and don't wanna do all the work for nothing. Also thought id clarify that the dam is in the corner of the farm so im standing in the middle of the farm and the fences closest to me are the border so thats the only hill.
Thanks.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Any idea how i find out who owns it?
If its a public road chances are good its a public authority of some kind. Fair chance its council although you never really know. What state are you in and do you know the name of the road? lots of public land managers have computer maps of land these days, you might be able to find it online.

motas

Likes Bikes
I don't know if its actually a road anymore but its on bing maps as Meehan rd. Also Im in vic. Any idea where i can find the maps? Its literally just a strip of grass running up a hill to nowhere.
Thanks.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Put the address of your site into http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/interactive.jsp

I came up with 4 Meehan Roads in vic. Pick which one is yours (you don't live near tittybong by any chance do you?) and once you zoom to your area you should be able to select the i button (information at a point) and zoom into the road and click it and get info. If you click on the build maps button on the top of the screen you should get a heap of other things you can put on there too and perhaps get an idea.

If I had to guess though and its a small unmade road reserve in a rural area its most likely managed by the local council.

motas

Likes Bikes
Information just says location and what council its in. The Meehan rd is in warragul. It says the road goes to the princess freeway but its doesnt. Bing maps is correct where it stops.
Might just stick to my own property for now. Cbfd trying to get council approval. The council knocked back our house because we had horses on "prime farming land" so we had to spend months getting past it. Dont even want to imagine what theyd say about a downhill track.

Jaydawgz

Likes Dirt
I'd still build something on your own land.
Get out some machinery out for a day once you have made some plans.
I would do, like already mention, a real flow style track with berms and doubles, but also pumps and maybe a roll in.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
You can't build a track on a roadside...however, you can 'make' one simply by mowing a strip and riding one in. Happens everywhere in the countryside - there's a lovely piece of singletrack about 10km long along the roadside just down from my place, for example. Make yourself a jump to get over the fence and come back onto your ground through a gate...

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Hey

If you are in warragul, that means the Baw Baw Shire......like most councils, a pain in the ass to deal with. When it comes to building homes in a Farming Zone, its a very long, frustrating process. I wouldn't even go there (council) with regards to building a DH track on a public road (even though it goes to nowhere), it just won't happen. Just plug away at it bit by bit, but don't go asking for permission.

Land looks good for XC tracks!

Last edited:

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
You can't build a track on a roadside...however, you can 'make' one simply by mowing a strip and riding one in. Happens everywhere in the countryside - there's a lovely piece of singletrack about 10km long along the roadside just down from my place, for example. Make yourself a jump to get over the fence and come back onto your ground through a gate...
these types often turn out to be the best ;) and technically if it just gets worn in (by bikes, pedestrians, horses), it cant be illegal....can it?

motas

Likes Bikes
Went for a ride to get some pics of the "road" and there was a old guy watering his vege garden that backs onto it. Got talking to him and he said the council owned it and in the 10 year growth plan they didn't plan on using it for anything and the only things people use it for are walking and he lets his dog for a run in there because theres a gate at the bottom to stop it escaping. Also if your wondering why its mowed its because he mows it for the people who walk on it. You also cannot fit a car up most of it unless its a 4wd or you don't care about scratches. I have to duck to get under most branches and theres even a tree fallen across it. Anyway heres some pics if anyones interested:

View from the road.

View from bottom of hill. Note massive branch fallen across it and the tree.
@jaydawgs
yer I'll probably end up doing that regardless. Maybe if I start with a roll in and some pumps itll get going good.
@dcrofty
Will be sure to post pics
@silentbutdeadly
Yer near my mates place theres km of single track on the side of the road that horse riders and mountain bikers use. Some of it good but most of its pretty bad. Could probably put some drops and jumps off the bank without it being a "track"
@vanderlay
We know some of the people at the council and there worse than most councils for everything so I don't think ill bother asking.
@retroenduro
Im sure putting a few piles of dirt there cant be illegal either :pirate:

Anyways now i know its illegal i better stop posting about it since its against the rules.
Thanks for everyone help.