CAN 2010 July - Whistler.

[ta]

Likes Dirt
Season pass for this year is 460$. Clearly, cheaper getting one than daily passes for 28 days, but how 'strongly' would you say non-transferable is?
Are passes registered and enforced to a single rider or is non-transferable more like mt buller and such...were it doesnt really matter?
Would be a shame having a season pass only for a month and not having the ability to use it anymore, thats all.

binner

Hath shat hymself
[ta];2139483 said:
Season pass for this year is 460$. Clearly, cheaper getting one than daily passes for 28 days, but how 'strongly' would you say non-transferable is?
Are passes registered and enforced to a single rider or is non-transferable more like mt buller and such...were it doesnt really matter?
Would be a shame having a season pass only for a month and not having the ability to use it anymore, thats all.
you get a beautiful pic of yourself on the pass, I lost mine on about the 3rd day and had to get a new one but they kinda politly said (reinforced) this one is free but if you lose it again we will charge you .

It all depends on the lift eeee , if they are rocking out or hungover they usually scan without even looking at you, but then there are some dudes who take their job very seriously...;) .. I got some really cool conversatioons with some of the lift eees with my helmet cam recording whilst getting zapped by their reader. Ask em to change the scan soudbytes , the guns are full of different sounds....:eek:

wow 15.5 weeks till we hit the shores.....:eek::eek:

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[ta];2139483 said:
i've accidently grabbed my housemate's season pass insted of my own and been pulled up on it and turned away.

that said, she doesnt look much like me. but the point being, if theyre unsure, they;ll get you to take off your goggles and helmet to have a real look.

beardi

Likes Dirt
Yeah i'd second that (they check passes). I know they pay the lifties around $70 in the winter if they bust someone using someone else's pass. Not sure if they do that in the summer but i know if you're unlucky enough to get the middle aged ranga validator, he'll tear you a new one! I never lend my pass coz i'd be too devastated if it got taken off me.
They have an early bird special for seasons passes too, might only be $50-60 cheaper but better than nothing.

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
Ex Victorian Downhill superstar Jazza Wilson is curently a Lifty in whistler, maybe we should get his input on this. I think if jazza throught you were faster than him then he definetly would confiscate your pass.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
guys. I'm currently a lifty over here in whistler and have been since start of summer last year. Don't confuse the lifty's with the validators, we wear the same uniforms but work for completely different departments. Validators get $75 for every fraudulent pass they find, lifty's get shit all as per usual! So yes they are usually pretty tight on the whole pass thing and yes 'big red' the validator has made a name for himself over here for being a prick, he will definitely not let you through.

That said, if you are mates with the lifty or validator we can usually sort something out ;). It's easier for me to sneak people on in winter than summer though.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Ex Victorian Downhill superstar Jazza Wilson is curently a Lifty in whistler, maybe we should get his input on this. I think if jazza throught you were faster than him then he definetly would confiscate your pass.
haha if i could confiscate yours i would. but as dan said thats not my job so i couldnt care less. dont worry everyone im currently looking after fitz and garbo keeping them in prime condition for summer. this white stuff falling from the sky isnt helping tho...

darkmuncan

Likes Bikes
Great Thread!

Loving this thread.

I am making first trip over this year from Aug1-17th and this has answered alot of questions!

My only issue is I was planning on taking my Demo8, but after some investigating I/Whistler would be better suited to a 6" AM bike? (to get the most out of all the trails?)

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
Loving this thread.

I am making first trip over this year from Aug1-17th and this has answered alot of questions!

My only issue is I was planning on taking my Demo8, but after some investigating I/Whistler would be better suited to a 6" AM bike? (to get the most out of all the trails?)
It really depends on what style of riding you want to the get most out off. The 6" AM bike wont be to good in the bike park, especially on the technical/steep/rooty trails but you can ride the many awesome trails outside of the bike park on it. A demo8 on the other hand will kickass in the bike park but be not so fun on the trails. If i were you i would keep in mind that your only going to be thier for a short amount of time so you may be spreading yourself a little thin if you try and ride the bike park as well as trails out of the bike park. If i were you i would take the demo8 and really get the most out of the bike park and maybe hire a trail bike for a day or 2.

darkmuncan

Likes Bikes
It really depends on what style of riding you want to the get most out off. The 6" AM bike wont be to good in the bike park, especially on the technical/steep/rooty trails but you can ride the many awesome trails outside of the bike park on it. A demo8 on the other hand will kickass in the bike park but be not so fun on the trails. If i were you i would keep in mind that your only going to be thier for a short amount of time so you may be spreading yourself a little thin if you try and ride the bike park as well as trails out of the bike park. If i were you i would take the demo8 and really get the most out of the bike park and maybe hire a trail bike for a day or 2.
Makes Sense!

Thanks

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Loving this thread.

Mate I spent last season here and rode every trail in the bike park, ride don't slide, phat wednesday and crankworx Garbonzo DH races all on my 7" Banshee scythe with totems. I would say 7 and 7 is a perfect compromise. Handles the technical, rooty trails adequately along with being able to tight northshore style trails and being super fun on the jumps. You could easily pedal a bike like this on the valley trails as well.

That said, I'm selling this bike this season to upgrade to a v10, as I want to focus on the racing more. It really depends on what you want to do over here but if you want the best of everything, go a shorter travel freeride bike.

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Loving this thread.

Nar , take the bike bike . There is some gnarly shit there in the park . Runs like Duff man , no duff , renegade , goats gully , Canadian wc , original sin but to name a few . Sure you can ride the park on a six inch but if you really wont to go fast , take the big bike ! . Six inch bikes are more suited to the lower half of the mountain . The top half of the mountain is buy far the best ridding and not many ridders venture up there maybe 10% on a big day . Its crazy , at times there maybe 500 ridders at the park maybe 700 , you head to the top of the mountain see a few bears and some dear and there`s no one in sight except the lifty . Jump of the lift and all you hear is yourself breathing , then your off down the mountain for one killer decent .
I took my v10 and found out what it was capable of ...

Last edited:

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also what about the bbq every second Saterday on Blackcomb . You have to catch the peak to peak and its like $25 all you can eat ...