Camper Vanning NZ advice?

dunndog

Eats Squid
I have recently been awarded a FULL GREEN LIGHT (this is a big deal in my world) to go ski Japan in summer without the family. Amazeballs.
I was thinking of switching it up to do maybe 4 days of shredding pow, and then 4 days riding nz on the way home - a lay over if you will. Nice way to break up the flight.
i am also entertaining the idea of canning Japan all together (shameful I know) and doing a 8-10 day camper van tour across the ditch.
I've ridden Queenstown twice, never anywhere else, and never been to the North Island. I have read about the usual places on both islands, but given it's probably unlikely I'd try to squeeze both in, it may well be one or the other. This is dependant on more investigation though.
Wondering who here has done something similar, and what advice could you give regarding locations, travelling, access etc? Best use of time in regards to a schedule? Any great ideas or pitfalls learnt along the way would be awesome. I like the idea of a bit of driving around, seeing some stuff along the way, doing loads of great riding (well atleast riding great trails poorly) and camping out in some cool spots. Aiming for more gravity fed trails, certainly open to some xc/trail style rides as well. Will be riding my (new) tranny patrol carbon.
Just feeling it out at the moment, so fire away with whatever you think relevant. Keen to hear similar experiences, as it'll be a bloody big call to forego the Japow!! Cheers!!

Ivan

Eats Squid
last time I looked at prices, it was cheaper to rent a car and stay in hotels than rent a campervan.