Camelbak Mule vs Mule NV

el~rio

Likes Dirt
So I've decided its time for a new Camelbak. Main reasons being the one I've got is an about 6-7 year old hand me down, I'm keen on the new Antidote reservoir and I like new stuff (don't we all?).

I've decided on a Mule but now I have to decide between the normal Mule or the Mule NV.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the NV as it has waist belt pockets, a rain cover and the upgraded back panel. However it is heavier and I'm wondering if the the more rigid back panel would actually make it less comfortable (not conform to your back as well, make it harder to pack odd shaped stuff in etc.).

Also the normal Mule in methyl/blue would match the colour scheme I've got going perfectly :p

So has anyone gone through this decision before or care to share their experiences with either of the mentioned packs?

SideFX

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a mule , although i think its a great water carrier it gets hot on my back and i find that for the 2/3 hr AM rides i do its overkill . Try to get the most minimalistic bag you get .

LabRat

Likes Dirt
I have a Mule and I find it a bit too heavy for rides less than 3hrs. It's an awesome bag, but it provides little ventilation when it's hot.
If you're going on a long ride (100km's) then it's perfect for carrying all your supplies and 3ltr's of drink without feeling like a suitcase.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Unless your definitely sold on a Camelbak, check out the Deuter packs, I have found their packs to be long lasting, and I prefer the features of their bladder. The pack I use has the aircomfort mesh to keep the pack off your back for ventilation. The Race x Air I have pictured is the same pack I have had for the last 2 years, and is a similar volume and carrying capacity compared to the Mule. My only complaint about the pack would be some rust on the steel frame I noticed last year.

http://www.deuterusa.com/products/productDetail.php?packID=raceXAir&sub=hydration&tert=race

Last edited:

ae93gti

Cannon Fodder
Same question

which way did you go in the end? I am in the same boat at the moment.

Also, if you launched, where did you get it from? I see CRC are reasonable even with ~$8 postage.

trail_monkey

Likes Bikes
I have a 2010 Mule NV and I have a 2011 Lobo on the way from CRC to replace it. There's a few reasons why.

a) The 2010 Mule NV is a tank at around 1kg.
b) I ride in the tropical heat and rather than air out my back the NV mesh is in constant contact with almost my entire back width (I'm a whippet). I think a backpack with a thinner profile will keep me cooler.
c) I just don't use the extra space in the mule and the space from one pocket intrudes onto it's neighbour. Not the best design.

I'll likely keep the Mule for all day epics but for anything less I'll have the Lobo which presents a thinner profile on my back.

It looks like the weight on the NV has been reduced for 2011 and somewhat redesigned though. Good luck!