Calling on the brains trust: Weird monarch sag issue

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Hi all,

I have a customer bringing a bike to me to look at tomorrow that has developed a weird sag issue in the rear shock.

It's a Debonair Monarch RT3 E:i from a lapierre and the issue is not something I've encountered previously.

In short, when he sits on the shock with normal air pressure it sags to the usual point. It then makes an audible click followed by the shock slowly compressing to 50 or 60% of travel. The shock then extends as normal and has not lost any air pressure in the positive chamber.

The customer believes air is leaking from the positive to the negative air chamber, but then moving back into the positive chamber on extension. He also noted excessive pedal strikes on previous rides.

Personally, I would think anything that results in changes to the negative air spring would cause changes to the rebound damping and the extension of the shock (ie high negative air pressure would cause the shock to sit partially into it's travel).

Does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone experienced a similar phenomenon in one of there shocks?

Just looking for some pointers before I have a look at the bike tomorrow. Obviously the customer doesn't want to be off the bike for very long, so hopefully this can be resolved relatively easily.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
positive and negative chambers are balanced at rest. When shock is compressed, the negative chamber pressure drops, positive chamber pressure increases. Damaged or worn primary air seal allows air from higher pressure chamber to pass to other chamber. Then the opposite.

Pull it apart (use stuck down procedure as precaution) and inspect the air seals. The white backup ring will probably be damaged and squeezed in between the quad ring and the air can. Then install service kit (about $30).

- Joel

link1896

Mr Greenfield
How old is this shock? Old monarchs had o rings for the lower air can seal instead of quad rings, allowing dirt past much easier.

how was the lube and dirt conditions inside the air Can?