NSW Calling all Beecroft/Cheltenham riders

s_t_3_v_3

Likes Dirt
big jumps. The only jumps that work are ones on private property. :)
That isnt true.. there are some big jumps around. They are just BMX orientated. Im sure some people know where im talking about;)

Legally Red

Likes Dirt
Good to see some people active over this matter,

Lyne Rd: Probably seems the most appropriate site, i was one of 3 guys that started building the up ramp there 5 or so years ago and it stayed around for a long time. The dirt there is also decent as there has been grass growing there for ages.

Jumps next to the golf course: Me and 2 other guys built them 1 - 1.5 years ago but we had problems from the sandy river soil, the golf course, and the jumps being continuously washed away when the creek overflowed (3 times i think).

Trails in Chilworth Reserve: Built about 2 sets over the years down there, good clay about 1ft below the ground but were always knocked down by old people getting hard over the bush.

Cheltenham Oval: Had awesome sets on both sides for atleast 6 years on and off. Netball court side seems the best opportunity as the council seem to turn a blind eye to that side (2 small jumps been there for years and never knocked by council) or as mentioned could be the perfect spot for a pump track. The other side however has seem an effort from the council to plant shitty little trees and stuff so the chance of building jumps there is pretty dim. We were continuously faced with the problem of little kids walking and fuking up the jumps every saturday when they came for cricket or soccer.

Pennant Hills Park: Provides many sporting facilities i dont see why they could not accomodate a set of jumps in the park as long as they dont protrude into Lane Cove National Park and the bush.

Fernleigh Park (off hannah st): Long shot but worth a try.

Thats about all i can think of at the moment, if you need help with jumps or tracks or the building of them id be happy to help.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good to see some people active over this matter,

Lyne Rd: Probably seems the most appropriate site, i was one of 3 guys that started building the up ramp there 5 or so years ago and it stayed around for a long time. The dirt there is also decent as there has been grass growing there for ages.

Jumps next to the golf course: Me and 2 other guys built them 1 - 1.5 years ago but we had problems from the sandy river soil, the golf course, and the jumps being continuously washed away when the creek overflowed (3 times i think).

Trails in Chilworth Reserve: Built about 2 sets over the years down there, good clay about 1ft below the ground but were always knocked down by old people getting hard over the bush.

Cheltenham Oval: Had awesome sets on both sides for atleast 6 years on and off. Netball court side seems the best opportunity as the council seem to turn a blind eye to that side (2 small jumps been there for years and never knocked by council) or as mentioned could be the perfect spot for a pump track. The other side however has seem an effort from the council to plant shitty little trees and stuff so the chance of building jumps there is pretty dim. We were continuously faced with the problem of little kids walking and fuking up the jumps every saturday when they came for cricket or soccer.

Pennant Hills Park: Provides many sporting facilities i dont see why they could not accomodate a set of jumps in the park as long as they dont protrude into Lane Cove National Park and the bush.

Fernleigh Park (off hannah st): Long shot but worth a try.

Thats about all i can think of at the moment, if you need help with jumps or tracks or the building of them id be happy to help.
Golf course jumps were knocked down today.

Good suggestions, Chilsworth is hard because of landcare and stuff, fernley would also be good.
Is there any where up at penno park that would be suitable?

Nmag

Likes Dirt
P Hill Park is not NP

"Pennant Hills Park: Provides many sporting facilities i dont see why they could not accomodate a set of jumps in the park as long as they dont protrude into Lane Cove National Park and the bush." = good idea.

dirt can be brought in

i'll support a separate pump track to the jump park somewhere as well

Legally Red

Likes Dirt
P Hill Park is not NP

"Pennant Hills Park: Provides many sporting facilities i dont see why they could not accomodate a set of jumps in the park as long as they dont protrude into Lane Cove National Park and the bush." = good idea.

dirt can be brought in

Perhaps near the long jump pits???

s_t_3_v_3

Likes Dirt
P Hill Park is not NP

dirt can be brought in

I cant see anywhere suitable. There really isnt much spare space up there which isnt gonna disturb any other parts of the park. During the week, those car parks seem like huge wasted space, but come saturdays in winter, and you're hard pushed to find 1mx1m open space anywhere in the park.

nucleon hawke

Likes Dirt
Wasn't Hornsby council proposing to build a DJ park near the quarry? I would be up for that... not much of a trek from mine :p .
Haven't had a look at the proposed quarry site but i wasnt much of a fan of the Cheltnam oval area.

s_t_3_v_3

Likes Dirt
Wasn't Hornsby council proposing to build a DJ park near the quarry? I would be up for that... not much of a trek from mine :p .
Haven't had a look at the proposed quarry site but i wasnt much of a fan of the Cheltnam oval area.
There are already jumps next to the quarry isnt there?

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No, they have no idea what they want to do with the quarry so its pretty mcuh off limits. However it would be ideal, im trying to push for it. Word is Cheltenham... cant reveal too much though.

There are already jumps next to the quarry isnt there?
They're crap and erroded

AndySTi

Likes Dirt
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but i live in the area and just wanted to know what happenned to this?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I too am intrigued! Must have missed this thread when it appeared.

Clark, the only reason you never liked Cheltenham oval as I recall, was because you're too much of a lazy git to ride up the minute incline back to civilisation (read: Beecroft :p)

The Lyne road idea seems like the best TBH, as the place seems ti be an open space just waiting to give some developer a hard on. In the numerous times I've gone down there, I don't think I've actually seen another soul, period.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
thanks for digging this up!

things are going well, i am still talking with council as to what is going on but its all really posative! Things are happening but you know with councils nothing seems to get done quickly. I know the lady very well and have met up with her on a few occasions and she is keen.

I pushed for "dirtart" to build some stuff at lyne res in cheltenham but they want me to suggest some other possible areas????? Sugestions????

I think we will see a pump track built up at hornsby in the near future, it will not be professionally built but built by some of the HSMBA guys. We will be building over an existing kids BMX track (a 20m2 thing with like 3 crappy erroded jumps)

So yeah things are happening, but nothing confirmed.

AndySTi

Likes Dirt
Good to see things are going smoothly, top stuff mate.

I pushed for "dirtart" to build some stuff at lyne res in cheltenham but they want me to suggest some other possible areas????? Sugestions????
Does that mean a pump-track at Lyne res is out of the question?

hijomojo

Squid
A proposal for beecroft/cheltenham area

hey guys, found this thread a while ago but didn't post anything as I didn't have time to help build anything, but now I'm free and Its been almost a year since anything happened.
So, i have a proposal for an area:
The area is called 'Beecroft Reserve' and the specific area is under the M2 in the reserve.
This is the general area:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&....757189,151.062001&spn=0.008831,0.013078&z=17

The area is just an empty dirt patch with walking tracks leading to and from Allerton Rd, Ferndale Rd, Welham St and the Beecroft side of the M2 on Kirkham St.
The area is very open and theres a lot of space (not that many supporting pylons for the M2), the dirt seems useable, its relatively protected from rain.

I remember a while ago that Hornsby council was asking cyclists in the area if they wanted anything built for them or for help to build things. So I think that might be something we can use, depending on how 'protected' the area is as it is a 'reserve', and the dirt area might be owned by Transurban Ltd/Hills Motorway Ltd which might present a challenge.

The idea i have in mind is something similar to the Colonnade Mountain Bike Park in Seattle. This is a video about it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xc0F1e5QbGM

I've attached some photos of the area I took in May this year, so hopefully it hasn't changed much (the bridge might not be there any more, I remember seeing it washed away after the huge storms earlier this year)

Attachments

Last edited:

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Excellent idea. I know the spot in the photos, I've read all about the park you are talking about in the states, and think that could be a great spot.

My request: Can we fit some pumptrack into this?