buying parts overseas

bike182mtb

Likes Dirt
i am thinking of buying some wheels overseas [yes i know about helping out the local bike shops.but at $1499 here or $789plus $40 postage that too much to suport ] and some other things as well.has any body had any problems with customs.i have bought things in the states before and have been hit with customs. but not in england . is there a limit before you pay ? and has anybody had to pay om things from england . thinking about all up about spending around $1500 on wheels and a fork and some other things:)

Some Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Customs will charge duty on shipments over $1000. Thats air mail or courier, the limit is the same now. Make two seperate orders of $750 and you'll be fine. Just make sure the orders are a week or two apart or customs will treat them as a single order and charge you duty.

stainless

Likes Bikes
yeah i just had some wheels sent from chainreactioncycles.com (UK) with no dramas.

The only thing was the first shipment which i paid for international express (DHL) arrived after the second package that i ordered a couple of days later with standard international parcel delivery. Still only a week of waiting though and well worth the savings. :)

schacksta

Western Sydney MTB Club
Just a shame you can't support your LBS - or even local importers... I know I know - it all comes back to that same old dollar thing, but anyway, i'd like to see 'em given the support they need.

cheers,

schacksta
pres
www.wsmtb.com

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
I buy practically everything secondhand or online bit I still end probably spend the better part of $1000 a year on bits and bobs and service at shops. So yeah go crazy online - the LBS will get waaay more dosh from the online-shopping-n+1-biked-cycling-enthusiast cycling than they would from the average cyclist anyway.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
I buy practically everything secondhand or online bit I still end probably spend the better part of $1000 a year on bits and bobs and service at shops. So yeah go crazy online - the LBS will get waaay more dosh from the online-shopping-n+1-biked-cycling-enthusiast cycling than they would from the average cyclist anyway.
I don't know... I got a rude shock when I saw how much I put through my LBS in the last 12 months...

...no wonder they like me.

Cheers
Gonz

Steve_N

Likes Dirt
I use both OS/ebay and the LBS. If I know exactly what I'm after, say a cassette or chainrings or chain then I usually use the former, however, if I'm not sure about a part, need something in a hurry, want to check something out in the flesh or need any servicing (that I can't do myself) then I'm straight over to the LBS.

I find I spend about the same in both places... :eek:

There is a place for both to live in harmony... :)

dcrofty

Eats Squid
My LBS has realised that stacks of Canadians buy online in the states (the Canadian dollar is currently worth more than the US $ so its even worse at the moment) and freely advertise on their website that they are happy to install parts bought elsewhere.

A way for them to still get some income out of the situation.

rex2

Likes Bikes
I purchased a set of wheels from CRC about a month ago, it is also the first time I have bought a set from OS and also he first time I have not had a custom build.

I bought a set of DT1450 RR road wheels for $720 including wheel bags, rim strips, spare spokes, skewers, tools and postage. Dirtworks quoted me $1700-$1800 for the same set with no skewers or extras.

The only thing I considered was the availability of parts as you can pretty much kiss your warranty goodbye (too much shipping etc) - that is why I went the DT's as they are all standard parts and easy to replace.

LJohn

Likes Dirt
Try and support them as much as possible, but frequently, shops can't buy things from Aussie distributors for the price you can get it overseas.

DaGonz

Eats Squid
Try and support them as much as possible, but frequently, shops can't buy things from Aussie distributors for the price you can get it overseas.
we had this discussion in another forum recently. Apparrantly Aussie distributors can't buy some things for the price you can get it overseas so it's toughie...

Australia is a relatively small market, and I'd imagine many products like DT you would have to buy a whole bunch of stuff, including spares to be the distributor for them, then warehouse them etc... the overhead locally to bring in stuff is probably relatively high compared to other parts of the world, so the price is higher. I know mavic won't even sell you spares if you didn't buy the wheel set locally. I used to think that was pretty harsh, but it's probably fair enough. Why should they go to all the expense of providing local service and local spares just so you can go get your wheels cheaper overseas then reap off it.

Annoyingly, both some local distributors and vendors seem to shoot eachother in the foot, like offering cheap international delivery direct from the "cellar door" so to speak, or having a local distributor locked in, only for the distributor to not bring in the whole range.

Admittedly on the fringe, I've had to go mail order to get many a crosser part after being told "we won't be bringing any of that in". But more recently, a certain manufacturor referred me to the local distributor only for them to tell me they were only bringing in lower end models and weren't really prepared to deviate from that.

For larger ticket items where I'm likely to want local support, warranty or what not, then I try to buy locally because I don't mind paying a little extra for the value added support. If that proves to be bogus then I simply just vote with my feet. So far, especially from neezy & dirt works, I have not been disappointed.

Cheers
Gonz

jacob123

Likes Bikes and Dirt
sorta on the topic but does any one know how much it would cost to post a $70 mtx rim from america across to melbourne, sorry if im usin your thread.

freewheel

Squid
does anyone know what the go is with buying parts etc from new zealand, whether or not there is customs duty, of whatever else associated costs involved.

stainless

Likes Bikes
Just a shame you can't support your LBS - or even local importers... I know I know - it all comes back to that same old dollar thing, but anyway, i'd like to see 'em given the support they need.

cheers,

schacksta
pres
www.wsmtb.com
Yeah I always did in the past, however when I asked for support from the Aussie distributors for my fund raising bike ride, they were not interested so I went O/S. Any money I saved on the purchases means more I can hand over to the Cancer Council at the end.

Cheers

Linden

Support the Hot as Hell Bike Ride

http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=108080