Buying a e-bike online, risky?

Coopz

Likes Dirt
Well I went to 3 LBS yesterday, first 2 didn't have a great deal of the sub 8k stuff. The last one had a Merida eOne-Sixty 500 on special, they also knocked another $500 off. It has mediocre forks and a few other barely mid level components but it will probably suit my more self preservation type of riding I do these days.

Now I just need to get the OK from the wife..

Holding off worked out in the end for me as I was able to snare a 2023 Norco Range VLT A2 with 900wh battery for $5220 earlier today (shout out to Jonny Sprockets Toowoomba!) which I'm pretty happy with.
A bike shop south of me has one of those as well, 4 months ago he was doing them for 5k, now he wants 6k.. Probably a bit too hardcore for my riding style anyway.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
Well I went to 3 LBS yesterday, first 2 didn't have a great deal of the sub 8k stuff. The last one had a Merida eOne-Sixty 500 on special, they also knocked another $500 off. It has mediocre forks and a few other barely mid level components but it will probably suit my more self preservation type of riding I do these days.

A bike shop south of me has one of those as well, 4 months ago he was doing them for 5k, now he wants 6k.. Probably a bit too hardcore for my riding style anyway.
MERIDA or Giant would probably have the best bang for your buck as a new bike. Just remember, you are going to need to spend the equivalent of the spec of normal bike plus the cost of the motor and battery/electronics for an Ebike, if that makes sense. You are always going to have to spend a reasonable amount more to get the same spec.

Reactions: PiE

PiE

Likes Bikes
Probably too much for me too but all weighed up was the best value I could find.

I've seen older deals of $5000 with 720wh battery which would be a bargain too. The problem at this point is also stock levels. A lot of the places selling cheaper will only have XS/XL sizes, or if they do have your size they'll have a hefty delivery fee etc. It's a pain.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Just in case you dont know check out bikeexchange.com.au to get an indication of prices.