Buying a bike from an interstate bike shop

jnatera

Likes Bikes
Hi

I am looking to buy a new bike from an interstate bike shop (Melbourne) as they don't stock them in Tassie. I would fly over and collect it.

Would there be any problems with the warranty etc.

Just wanting to know if any has done this before and your good or bad experiences.

indica

Serial flasher
Yep, and that is assuming worst case senario.
Geberally bikes don't have warranty issues.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What's the bike? If you don't live near an official dealer the company should be able to send a bike shop in tassie a one off order. Just about every company allows this..

jnatera

Likes Bikes
What's the bike? If you don't live near an official dealer the company should be able to send a bike shop in tassie a one off order. Just about every company allows this..
I am looking at a Cube Reaction 29er hardtail. I will have to go into one of the local shops about this.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Why fly over an get it most shops will package it up and send it. Make sure they use a good company you should be fine.

haritone

Likes Dirt
I've bought a bike from interstate online with absolutely no issues. It helps when you know you are dealing with a reputable shop; in my case TBSM. I organised the courier and the bike made it to me in perfect order and packed with care.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Why would there be a warranty issue?
Depends on the distributor, but some get picky about bikes must be fully assembled by the dealer before they leave the shop, and shipping boxed bikes is against dealer obligations. I know through where I work is that Giant is one who takes this view; a few years ago all dealers got a stern letter reminding them of this requirement, I guess due to some warranty claims from ham-fisted customers assembling their own bikes, and the warning that any shops caught selling boxed bikes would have their dealership pulled.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Depends on the distributor, but some get picky about bikes must be fully assembled by the dealer before they leave the shop, and shipping boxed bikes is against dealer obligations. I know through where I work is that Giant is one who takes this view; a few years ago all dealers got a stern letter reminding them of this requirement, I guess due to some warranty claims from ham-fisted customers assembling their own bikes, and the warning that any shops caught selling boxed bikes would have their dealership pulled.
giant send the bikes to store virtually fully built anyway. You straighten up the bars, put pedals on, put the front wheel in and the seat. The rest of the bike is already assembled. (of course i am referring to 5 years ago when i worked at a store but I doubt much has changed). Yes you check these things before sending it off but the bike is hardly "built" in store. I got my bike in the exact condition they come boxed, the store took it out checked it over installed my switched over parts and re boxed it.

That's a pretty weak move from giant given how anyone can pretty much assemble a boxed bike with no mechanical skills.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It is about reducing price based competition for their product, which in turn reduces retailer to wholesaler pressure for lower prices. I mean who would want their mass produced Taiwanese bike brand to be thought of as a bargain product?

driftking

Wheel size expert
That's pretty laughable man. Some bike shops can't even build a bike out of a box properly.
Have you seen how some of the bikes come.
Most dh bikes iv seen come out of the box and besides checking tensions all you do is;

-turn bars and line up with forks.
-install front wheel + mount brake
-put seat tube in which already has the seat on it
-put pedals on

That's it. Nothing else, anyone can do that with basic skill of doing things up and followin easy instructions. If needed.

Maybe if we are talking a frame up built obviously a mechanic needs to do it or a highly skilled rider but prebuilt bikes come virtually fully built.

Also that's because lots of store hire school or young kids with no experience and don't both training them until they need to do a job.

Minlak

custom titis
I am under the impression that bikes can't be shipped outside the sales area of the store. It protects the store selling the product supposedly. They don't usually allow bike shops within certain distance from each other to sell the brands that enforce this as well. Happy to be proven wrong this was how it was explained to me.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Have you seen how some of the bikes come.
Most dh bikes iv seen come out of the box and besides checking tensions all you do is;

-turn bars and line up with forks.
-install front wheel + mount brake
-put seat tube in which already has the seat on it
-put pedals on

That's it. Nothing else, anyone can do that with basic skill of doing things up and followin easy instructions. If needed.

Maybe if we are talking a frame up built obviously a mechanic needs to do it or a highly skilled rider but prebuilt bikes come virtually fully built.

Also that's because lots of store hire school or young kids with no experience and don't both training them until they need to do a job.
I don't want to sound like a wanker by saying this but i have worked as a bike mechanic for a long time. If what you have mentioned above is how you or anyone you know have built a bike and let it leave the store, it only adds to my concern for the industry. I hope you are taking the piss.

driftking

Wheel size expert
I don't want to sound like a wanker by saying this but i have worked as a bike mechanic for a long time. If what you have mentioned above is how you or anyone you know have built a bike and let it leave the store, it only adds to my concern for the industry. I hope you are taking the piss.
That is how all the bikes have come that iv seen you don't need to do anything to them.
You check all the parts for tension but everything comes from the factory installed and greased.

I have never seen a mechanic take apart the whole bike and reinstall every part out of the box.
Maybe I worked somewhere slack haha I don't know but they never had issues with the bikes as far as I am aware. I worked there for a short time but was a customer for a few years.

Sappa

Likes Dirt
Got my bike from interstate, didn't even think about warranty claims but would not assume I would have one. I was on a trip for work, grabbed a box from a bike shop and packed it up. Have had no problems a year later.