Buying 2nd Hand from US Postage/Import Taxes

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand bike from the US. It will be under $1000 so am I right in thinking that there won't be any GST/Import charges? And being 2nd hand it should get around it anyway shouldn't it?

Are there any other hidden costs for this that I'm not seeing?

Other thing is postage. Atm the best I've been quoted is $320 for door-to-door service. Does anyone know of any company that could do better than this or even has depot-to-depot service for a cheaper quote or has been good to deal with for international bike postage?

Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks alot guys.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
don't forget they drive on the other side of the road over there, so you'll need to get a "Caution: Left Hand Drive" sticket for your bike when it gets here

ncativo

Likes Bikes
just keep in mind that the custom value of the bike will also include shipping charges. Currency exchange also applies. So if the bike cost $600 and shipping charges are $300, then the custom/import value of the goods is $900.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just keep in mind that the custom value of the bike will also include shipping charges. Currency exchange also applies. So if the bike cost $600 and shipping charges are $300, then the custom/import value of the goods is $900.
Damn didn't realise that, but is it possible that because the bike is 2nd hand it wouldn't matter how much the value is?

I might give customs a ring and see what they say.

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Ship it in 2 boxes, wheelset and bits on one, another box for the frame etc. Normally works out cheaper, a wheelset is about $75 with UPS (same price as sending a set of wheels to WA, crazy..) and a frame box should be about $120.

If you can get them to send the boxes a few days apart, and value under $1000, youll avoid that customs charge: have them show up together and you'll get pinned. (if they do charge for 2nd hand goods.)

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Ship it in 2 boxes, wheelset and bits on one, another box for the frame etc. Normally works out cheaper, a wheelset is about $75 with UPS (same price as sending a set of wheels to WA, crazy..) and a frame box should be about $120.

If you can get them to send the boxes a few days apart, and value under $1000, youll avoid that customs charge: have them show up together and you'll get pinned. (if they do charge for 2nd hand goods.)
Even that might not work - customs can pin you for import duty on multiple shipments to the same address if they are sent close enough together. Maybe send one to home and one to work - not sure if that will show up on their radar?

Not that I'd advocate anything illegal but if the seller was to accidentally put a lower value on the customs declaration form you should be ok.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
Sending it via the relevant national postal service (or their outsourcer) can sometimes avoid all the duties all together, bit of a gamble though.

I've gotten a few major items through without customs duties, when sent via the aust post equivalent, which was a very nice surprise. (I think this has to do with higher volumes and national agreements - guessing)

We were told by a customs agent that full bikes attract less duties and they sometimes wave the duties. Seems a bit random, but you might get lucky.

maybe:
arrange to send it via US postal, split the boxes like Sethius suggested, and send to different addresses like gixer said ... then spend a few long restless weeks waiting for it all to arrive :p

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for all the help guys, I'll see what I can do.

I would have been in abit of trouble if I didn't post this thread.

GravityJockey

Likes Bikes
Customs value is only the item and not shipping/postage.

Sorry but this is not correct.

Import fee only apply if the "item" ( this case the bike ) is over $1000. Postage and all other taxes incurred do not contribute to the Customs Import Duties.

Now another tip here is the value/ cost Customs used to calculate is the "item value" is what is filled in box on the shippers decleration that has to be completed for all international postage. Though this also should match a receipt included with the documentation and one inside the box.

Now all the good internet shops know these things and I had a $ 1500 wheels set sent out last year from the US... value of $250 US on the receipt. :) so there are ways around it.

The seperate box idea can work... However be warned. Australian Customs logs all parcels into a computer data base. So boxes arriving from the same sender to the same addressee around the same time can get their red flag flying and you can be investigated :( possibly getting fined for much more than the actual Customs Duties were going to cost in the first place.

Hope this helps...

www.customs.gov.au is good for all this stuff... though can be confusing.

downhillar

Likes Dirt
why dont you just ask the poster to put $100 value on the item rather than it's real price?
seems like the easiest thing to do.

Purt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
why dont you just ask the poster to put $100 value on the item rather than it's real price?
seems like the easiest thing to do.
Don't customs randomly check stuff. If they thought normally they'd be wondering why I spent $350 posting something when it's worth $100...

Thanks for clearing it up GJ, I was getting abit worried about that, also I've had a look at the customs website but it's quite vague in some places and looks like customs can pick and choose bits.