QLD Building a pump track in my backyard!

Jack123

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone

i have a rather large backyard but i was wondering is there like a minimum area that is need to build a pump track ? My back yard also has a small hill going down so could i build that into the track ? My biggest problem is convinceing mum and dad its a good idea so does anyone have some ideas for that ? How much dirt would be need provide that i have none like would it be truck loads or could i just dig i few holes ?

Cheers guys

Hi everyone

i have a rather large backyard but i was wondering is there like a minimum area that is need to build a pump track ? My back yard also has a small hill going down so could i build that into the track ? My biggest problem is convinceing mum and dad its a good idea so does anyone have some ideas for that ? How much dirt would be need provide that i have none like would it be truck loads or could i just dig i few holes ?

Cheers guys
hey bro
it probs wont help you too much but i have a couple of suggestions
yes you will need lots of dirt,its not that easy to just dig,but if you have a clay like soil in your yard its a great idea to just put in the time of digging it yourself,(no costly dirt from a landscaping place),it develops your strength and help you understand what your riding and how its made

another option is user a filler in your rollers,something like 44 gallon drums half dug into the ground,its very solid but if it flexes to much you can always add some supports or whatever you like,huge logs work great but they do eventually rot.

you could just host a day with all your buddies and provide soft drinks and a lunch or whatever to get them in and in return ask their help to dig and then you can all ride after?

it might be cool for you to say to your parents that for example
mum,i think that if you let me build a small,neat track in the yard,it would benefit me becasue it would give me a worthwile cause to dedicate my time to and keep me from getting into trouble,it provides a place for me and my mates to hang out and ride without the hassle of others or trouble makers.

you could also plan it out with a proper ,decent plan to show them that it wont take up much space.you could use a zig zag design that way it is fast ,swooping and tucked in,without having a traditional style "loop" that has free space in the middle and takes up unnecessary space

sorry for rambling,hope it helps,keep us posted!

Jack123

Likes Bikes
thanks

thanks mate, there some great ideas i might have a chat the them soon about it, i think the digging idea is good :). well keep you posted too on how its all going and if it all goes to plan ill put some photos up :)

123RYAN321

Likes Dirt
in my back yard i built a bit of mismatched stuff just for fun some jumps, northshore etc.

digging is awesome takes time but saves money, what i did was dug a huge hole which was run in and jump out,
also dug some berms into the ground which might be more suitable for a pump track. just make sure you get good drainage out of it,
use the hill you have to force the water out through a drainage track (so dig a track) and away from the hole (not into another one just spread out)

if you do decide to just dig a random hole remember when it rains itll turn into a dam and most likely become mossy infested.

definitively get heaps of mates over, it'll make it alot easier and possibly hire a something like a dingo or if you know someone who has a bobcat borrow
that for the day itll make it alot easier.

hope that helps a little

driftking

Wheel size expert
I haven't had much experience building pump tracks as I primarily ride dh with my time. That been said I do know the importance of drainage.make sure you plan this from the get go and consider water build up. This is where building up rather than down (digging holes) can make drainage easier. Without drainage your track will not only be unshaped by water build up but will more than likely stop you riding on days and increase track wear.
As mention above you need to consider where the water will end up once it runs off you don't want a pool of water to build or a hole to fill as it will eventually get moss etc which is not ideal. If you are doing the pump track thing or any track for that matter do it right from the get go, that means planning and taking It account weather and riding.
Good luck with the track.

Last edited:
I work in the earthmoving industry mate, if u need soil ring ur local earthmoving/plant hire companys and tell them u need clean fill, they would much rather dump it for free than pay to do so at a tip.

MTBalltheway

Likes Dirt
!

I have previously built a pump track in my yard with a few friends and this was what we came across:

> Need to dedicate LOTS of time and effort towards it (Did about 20 afternoons till dark to just get the little section done - was rock hard though)
> Need to measure the distance between rollers and berms
> Dont Reaaally need dirt as you can dig down (But then you have drainage issues)
> GET PLANS OF PIPES IN YARD FIRST!

Some tips with the rents:

> tell them you will use it alot and make it look like a feature of the backyard
> show them some good ones to convince them: http://www.ihatebikes.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/20101003_sd_pumptrack-8.jpg

I recently dug it up though because I didnt use it much (Was short and was built with no thinking process) and it just looked ugly.

Good luck with it