Buchanan wins two awards and one race in one night

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Canberra’s Caroline Buchanan capped off a successful evening winning two cycling awards in both mountain bike and BMX. The 17 year old National Four Cross Champion was unable to attend the Cycling Australia Awards held in Adelaide last night instead preferring to race the National Series Four Cross event in Thredbo.

The current National Four Cross Champion, Buchanan, won the elite women’s race beating World silver medalist downhiller Tracey Hannah from Cairns after a close contest in the preliminary heats. Buchanan now leads the national series with third placed, Sarsha Huntington (Brisbane) retaining second place overall.

Buchanan and Hannah were close in the heats but according to bystanders Buchanan raised the bar in the final.

“I think I just got adrenaline in the final,” explained Buchanan. “I tried a different line in the first corner and it worked. I had a good start as well.”

“I knew if I got around the first corner I could hold it from there,”she said.. With only two rounds remaining in the national series Buchanan is favourite to take out the series title for a second year in a row.

Leigh Darrell, made it a Canberra double when he won the elite men’s class securing a firm hold on the series lead. Darrell did not let his guard down winning every race throughout the night. Darrell rode the first off camber sweeper to perfection and got the edge over his opponents.

Second was Thomas Hubert (Merewether) and third was Queenslander, Adam Nicholson.

Tim Dunn (Warrimoo) had the best gate starts all night and placed fourth in the final.

Under 19's was won by Shaun O'Connor while Under 17 rider Ben Clark won against a top field. Adelaide's Connor Fearon won the Under 15 class.

Tomorrow's third round of the national downhill series is expected to create some excitement with world ranked riders such as Nathan Rennie and Tracey Hannah on the start line.

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

Go Caroline!!!

I met her the other weekend at Thredbo and she seemed a switched on young lady without an arrogant bone in her body.

Keep cranking girl and see you at the Olympics eventually!!