BSA to BB30 worth the hassle?

nathanm

Eats Squid
Picked up some 165mm XO carbon cranks for the kids bike. But of course they're PF BB30. Is it worth the time and effort to try and fit these in a 73mm BSA frame? Did search the bottom bracket threads but couldn't find anything that covers this situation, so apologies if I'm bringing up old news.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Google for a BSA30 bottom bracket. There are a bunch around at varying price points. Under usual circumstances it's probably best avoided as they have to run tiny bearings to fit the 30mm spindle through, but for over-capitalising on a kids bike it should be fine given it won't be copping a beating.

Edit: didn't think about spindle length per below.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
A BB30 BB is 68mm wide including bearings, so you will have to fit an external bearing BB to fit the 30mm spindle.

The spindle on the BB30 cranks are too short to fit with external BSA30 cups.

As far as I remember, as I came across this a few years back.

nathanm

Eats Squid
A BB30 BB is 68mm wide including bearings, so you will have to fit an external bearing BB to fit the 30mm spindle.

The spindle on the BB30 cranks are too short to fit with external BSA30 cups.

As far as I remember, as I came across this a few years back.
Yep you look to be exactly right. With the adjuster thing the spindle wont be long enough. Doubt it's worth the effort of finding a new spindle so off to the for sale thread they go. i was pumped to finally find some 165mm cranks too.