Bruce Ridge ACT

Klips

Likes Dirt
They're looking for steering committee members now, you should volunteer! That way you'll get exactly what you want, even without lifting a shovel.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
They're looking for steering committee members now, you should volunteer! That way you'll get exactly what you want, even without lifting a shovel.
Who is? I'll enlist. Got a link for the internet lazy/unskilled?

Klips

Likes Dirt
Still nothing from the FoBR crew.
Seriously, get over it. There's no 'secret' FoBR crew; there's people who dig, people who ride, and people who do both. If there is, then I don't know who you're talking about because it's too secret for me and I've made most of the working bees this year.

<points about runoff being MTB related etc, requirements for obstacles to manage water flows and erosion etc>

But at BR, the trail maintenance challenge there is harder... there are more limitations as pointed out. To begin with there are no more new trails and there other unpublished reports that talk about other things. So I’m going to put it out there, where are the areas that people think the maintenance activities should focus on – is there scope for a planned approach? There are certainly areas that would benefit from armouring, rollers and other measures. There is room for some thinking about the new descent which is steep and a bit like The Luge in terms of its need for future maintenance.

Some discussion on this would be worthwhile.
This is an excellent point. Rock armouring is difficult to do at Bruce, as there's actually not heaps of big rocks near the new descent track, but it would significantly help and just requires dedication and a wheelbarrow next time someone's keen to do it. The ongoing maintenance is challenging, but if the trail is worth it then I'm sure we can spend a higher level of resources on this and lower levels on other parts like the outer loop near Calvary, which only seems to need the notches re-cut anually and some hedge trimming.

I think the right-hand corner into the berm also needs realigning, it doesn't ride very well (it's too tight into the corner) so this would be a good chance to take all the rocks in the base plus more gathered on the day improve it.

I think the key areas that need a fair bit of maintenance would be:
  • descent track
  • the flowy switchbacks next to Belco way
  • pruning for the inner loop near the skinny logs
  • those few corners that seem to always blow out on the calvary side, there's about three

Finally
Some weeding and community engagement needs to be done too <cough>FoBR<cough>
In terms of broader community consultation, how would you like this to be achieved? Current avenues used by FoBR are:
  • Government (PCS)
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Farkin
  • The Berm
  • FoBR bulletin board
  • Build days
I would suggest PCS put a sign up at the trailhead except that, as far as I know, no one ever sees the trailhead (I didn't know it existed in my first year riding there). I am keen to hear what other avenues you would like used.
*cough*

NSM - to prevent too much derailment, contact details are in the majura thread.

nak

Likes Bikes
as there's actually not heaps of big rocks near the new descent track,
However, I noticed on the weekend that a truckload of decent sized rocks has been dumped at the top of the new track, where it crosses the main FT. They look to be failry good sized, What are the plans for these?

I think the key areas that need a fair bit of maintenance would be:
  • descent track
  • the flowy switchbacks next to Belco way
  • pruning for the inner loop near the skinny logs
  • those few corners that seem to always blow out on the calvary side, there's about three

Agree, but would also add
  • some sections of the middle of bruce traverse (heading uphill towards the top water tank) , where the corners have eroded out badly on the corners
  • rebuilding the log rollovers on the switch backs next to the GDE

Last edited:

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Someone above when referring to the trail building volunteers:
... dickish behavior ...
... Can't wait to see how dumbed down the outcome is at Majura..

Quoted as an encouragement to have a bloody good hard look at yourself.

Join the volunteer activities, work up a sweat, put some thought in to the design, compromise, do the background paperwork that they no doubt need to do, put up with whingers who haven't picked up a shovel.

Then, if still unsatisfied - whinge. At least then you'll have some moral high ground (that you can erode by whinging).

Wouldn't it be great if this thread became more positive? Maybe all of the people who continue to like BR, and are excited by the plans for Majura, can speak up...

rynogee

Likes Dirt
Um, not quoted with any reference to any volunteer trail builders, but to a general trend in planning and design out there and elsewhere, but appreciate the condescension and holier than thou attitude nonetheless. I'm more than happy to get involved if the act government will provide the opportunity for meaningful input. Doesn't seem to be an issue with a lack of volunteers or shovelling, but poor consultation and decision making.

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Use sarcasm all you want, but you actually were referring to volunteers. The original context is linked there, I just snipped it down. The consultation efforts have been detailed here and elsewhere. The land use priority has been made clear here and elsewhere.

Seriously, get over it. There's no 'secret' FoBR crew; there's people who dig, people who ride, and people who do both. If there is, then I don't know who you're talking about because it's too secret for me and I've made most of the working bees this year.
I’m not sure I suggested anything about secret. I have suggested that it would be great if the FoBR crew engaged here in an open discussion about future trail works rather than just telling people when and where to turn up and dig. Who knows, maybe more people would get involved if this was the case.

Maybe you and others should read my comments properly?

Also, I’d encourage people watching this thread to get involved in the Majura discussions. It’s good to see the draft plan released. I personally am not a fan of the trails maps as people now think that the lines on the map will be built trails – this I am sure is not the intent. Shading areas of potential trail difficulty would be more appropriate for the Majura plan.

Kramer

FoBR
Sat 1 Nov Working Bee

Last working bee we cut in the new descent trail. This month we make it fun! ACT Parks have kindly dropped two dozen large rocks at the top of the ridge (thanks guys!) - these will be used to berm corners and add technical features!

Recent spring weather, holidays and bike riding has been awesome. The bike racing continues this weekend with the Mont 24 hour (cheers to our east side trail digging friends, Kowalski Brothers Trailworks), so we've decided to shift the next working bee to the following weekend. Here's the details for the new date:

Date: Saturday 1 November 2014
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the gate near O’Connor caravan park - Kunzea Street, just off Dryandra Street (N8 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels and leaf rakes.
As usual, please bring food, water, weather appropriate clothing, eye protection, gloves and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Descent trail - the new descent/fun/flow (not DH) trail will be getting more love with some berms and fun features (I7).

Any last minute updates will be posted on the FoBR Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/FoBruceRidge

Make sure you have your Weetbix and wear gloves, as some of the rocks look hefty!

Cheers
Craig

Klips

Likes Dirt
I should be there. Very keen to make it a bit more interesting, and re-do the right hand corner going into the berm as it's not quite right at the moment.

Nakki

Squid
How'd the working bee go?

I couldn't make it (and generally can't make weekends), but actually got a bit of time this arvo and spent a couple of hrs pruning veg on some of the trails on the GDE side.
Over the last few years I've been doing a fair bit of adhoc maintenance, closing shortcuts, pruning veg and running water off the track etc etc - reading through this thread it appears as though this is not completely kosher.
Given that I'm unlikely to make weekend working bees, but keen to continue giving something back to these trails, How can I continue this work and not piss off either the land managers or the fobr crew?

Is is as simple as registering as a fobr member to keep PCS happy, and send a message with what work has been done when ever I've done some to the someone in FOBR?

Kramer

FoBR
The working bee was huge - we moved over a ton of rock to build up the berms on the new descent trail. Should now be faster and more fun! Just need some rain to pack down the dirt.

If you are working out at Bruce without permission you could find yourself in trouble. First, you are not covered by any insurance so if you damage anything or anyone you could be up for a lot of $$$. Second, if PCS find you out there working without permission, you could be in trouble and cop a fine (again more $$$).

If you can't make the working bees, but are still keen to help, then small jobs like tree trimming and drainage would be great. I can point you to some of the areas that need work. Otherwise, if you have some areas in mind, just let me know where and what jobs you plan to do (just in case we have a working bee planned for the area).

I'll email you a copy of the volunteer sign on sheet. Please keep it on you when working out at BR, and send a scanned copy back to me after you have done work.

Please have a good read of the Casual Trail Maintenance guidelines (pretty sure you have seen these, but just want to make sure).

Klips

Likes Dirt
Can confirm it's faster, I got a top 10 despite having my commuter backpack on. Berms are already showing some wear from riding, but given how dry everything is its not really a surprise.

Kramer

FoBR
Sun 30 Nov Working Bee

ACT Parks have dropped more large rocks for us at the top of the ridge which will allow us to finish the new descent trail this weekend :-D

Here's the details for the working bee this Sunday:

Date: Sunday 30 November 2014
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the gate near O’Connor caravan park - Kunzea Street, just off Dryandra Street (N8 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels and leaf rakes.
As usual, please bring food, water, weather appropriate clothing, eye protection, gloves and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Descent trail - roll more rocks down the hill, build cool berms and features, finish the new descent/fun/flow (not DH) trail, smile (I7).

Like last working bee, I recommend you wear gloves (and don't skip your Weetbix) as some of the big rocks like to bite fingers!

Xmas Social Ride
For December, we will swap the tools for bikes. The Xmas social ride will be on Sunday 14 December at 2pm, followed by food and drinks somewhere nearby to celebrate our awesome work this year.

Farewell old descent
With the nearing completion of the new descent trail, the old descent trail will be going soon. The old descent trail will be rehabilitated to preserve the sensitive plant and animal habitat which lives on the southern side of the ridge. You might see me out there this week for old times sakes ;-(

Cheers
Craig

Kramer

FoBR
Sun 14 Dec Xmas Social Ride

It has been an awesome year with the major trail changes at Bruce Ridge all completed (except for a couple of closures). So instead of digging this month we will head for a ride and celebratory drink.
Here's the details for the ride this Sunday:

Date: Sunday 14 December 2014
Time: 2pm-4pm (ride), 4:30pm+ (drinks)
Drinks: Duxton, O'Connor Shops (from 4:30pm)
What to Bring: Your favourite trail weapon (bike!). As usual, please bring food, water, weather appropriate clothing, helmet, eye protection, gloves and sturdy footwear.
Planned ride Areas:
All the fun stuff, including the new descent trail!

Cheers
Craig

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I'm still on the mend after blowing my knee out.

I'll be back but it won't be until the new year.

Merry Xmas all and I'll catch you in the '15!