Bruce Ridge ACT

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
If he finds the trails a Bruce a bit tough, you could also take him to the beginner area at the bottom of Majura. It really is dead flat and smooth.

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just back from a weekend in Canberra and Bruce Ridge was great for the youngster! Going anti-clockwise from Alivio starting with Terra Firma and sticking to the outside loop was perfect. We all enjoyed the trails, mum too! Thanks for all the tips, you have built a great little trail network there.

Kramer

FoBR
FoBR Sept Working Bee

Another cruel Canberra winter is over, and the trails need your love & care to shine again. Here's the details for the working bee this Sunday:

September Working Bee
Date: Sunday 25 Sept 2016
Time: 8am-12pm
Meeting Location: At the AIS back (East) carpark, Masterman Street, Bruce (N1 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels, bush saws and secateurs would be good.
As usual, please bring food, water, hat and sturdy footwear.
Planned work Areas:
Commuted, Rake Hoe, Log Run, North Face - fix puddles and drainage, berm corners, make rad trails.
I expect we'll also clear some Coota Wattle which is a weed in Bruce Ridge - so bring a bush saw if you have one.

Any last minute updates will be posted on the FoBR Twitter feed.

Kramer

FoBR
FoBR Oct Working Bee

It's perfect weather to be outside, and with recent rains the trails need some love. Here's the details for the working bee this Sunday:

October Working Bee
Date: Sunday 30 Oct 2016
Meeting Location: At the gate near O’Connor caravan park / Terra Firma trail - Kunzea Street, just off Dryandra Street (N7 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
What to Bring: Your favourite trail tools, particularly fire rakes, mattocks, shovels, bush saws and secateurs would be good.
Planned work Areas:
Just in Time, Whoopee, Daviesia Up/Down - fix puddles and drainage, berm corners, make rad trails, talk about bikes.

Working Bees & Events 2016
Details of all working bees and social rides for 2016 are listed on the FoBR Forums.

Kramer

FoBR
FoBR Nov Working Bee

This Sunday we will run the last working bee for 2016, so this is the last chance to get your hands dirty this year and ensure the trails are in perfect condition for holiday season.

Please note that we will meet near the CIT this month on Purdie Street, Bruce.

November Working Bee
Date: Sunday 20 Nov 2016
Meeting Location: At the CIT car park, Purdie Street Bruce (F1 on the old Bruce Ridge map).
Planned work Areas:
Log Run, Super D and Creek Run.

What about December?
Next month we'll run a social ride and drinks. Details TBC.

Kramer

FoBR
Hoping to get a working bee organised soon... I've been too distracted with house reno, work, life, etc...
Luckily BR is still riding nicely. We will need to fix up the damage near Justin Time after the work is finished on the retaining walls.

Drop a post here if you've got ideas for any areas to tidy up at Bruce.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, Justin Time is the major one but I'd like to maybe consider tweaking a few corners if there is capacity for that over and above general maintenance.

Kramer

FoBR
Have been thinking about berming up first two corners on Justin Time for a while. Always happy to look at tweaking the trails... as you know, a lot of thinking and decisions happen with shovels in hand :)

pliskin

Likes Dirt
was out at bruce ridge today, got 1/2way along happy wanderer and there is a trail closed for rehabilitation sign a metre off side of track .
not sure if track is supposed to be closed, if so. maybe put more markers at trail head. if not closed, maybe remove signage completely. was a bit confusing.
a group of 4 more riders same through behind me too

Kramer

FoBR
There are a few Trail Closed signs around BR - most have been there for ages to close old trails which have now mostly grown back over. There have been no recent trail closures - if we close a trail we will do out utmost to make it disappear! If someone is keen to help - collect the trail closed signs along Happy Wanderer and Log Run and leave them at the gate near the caravan park entry near end of Davisia Down and Pub Run (I'll pick them up when I have my trailer).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Just spent the last couple of hours re-reading this thread. What an RB classic; I've seen Korean soap operas with less dramatics than this thread!

Anyway, the Ridge is really falling into disrepair these days - parts of trees hanging over trails and berms, heavy traffic having eroded some areas pretty badly, and the amount of times your face and arms get whipped/ripped by branches is off the chart.

Anyone know what the deal is with maintenance these days?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Just spent the last couple of hours re-reading this thread. What an RB classic; I've seen Korean soap operas with less dramatics than this thread!

Anyway, the Ridge is really falling into disrepair these days - parts of trees hanging over trails and berms, heavy traffic having eroded some areas pretty badly, and the amount of times your face and arms get whipped/ripped by branches is off the chart.

Anyone know what the deal is with maintenance these days?
Can only suggest this for further information

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Is @Kramer still active on here? Doesn't look like it.
No, he pulled out years back. Pretty amazing the amount of work that he did alongside his family commitments.

I get the feeling that this will have to be revived via PCS, or whomever the leading authority is. I'm happy to get the ball rolling, but I know nothing about sustainability or environmental impact, etc. I can swing metal and wood, and lift heavy things - about all I bring to the party.

Either way, some work needs doing up there.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I don't have facebook and can't see the page. None of the other FOBR pages have had any action for a long time that I can see. Is that FB page still current?
They were undertaking trail work yesterday on Daviesia Down and are posting regularly.