Broken Hayes 9 Lever

gness

Likes Bikes
Hi all,

Had my bike propped up against a tree whilst I was fiddling around with it, a turn away and a gust of wind blew it over and unfortunately my brake lever took the brunt of the fall and now looks like this...

Taking a closer look, it looks like it's missing a bit that holds the "ball" on the lever into the "socket" inside the unit.

Do I need to replace the entire brake unit? Or can I just replace the lever?

Fisher

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My mates popped out after he broke his collar bone doing a jump.
We just popped it back in (use force)
Easy :)

Unless its missing something :(

Jordo99

Likes Dirt
My mate has El camino's, not sure if they are the same.
But his just popped back in and we wound in the lever reach

Last edited:

sam705

Likes Dirt
There is a socket that it pops into. That may need replacing depending if anything is missing.
I don't know a lot about it but a friend of mine's came out and there is a clip that keeps it in i think? It needed a new one of those.

mlsred

Likes Dirt
the part your missing is a small circlip (think thats how its spelt) that sits behind the ball part and stops it from popping out all the time, i've attached a dodgy paint edit to show you what I mean

wilksy

Squid
i had a set of these, when i found out the price of parts compaired to getting a new set i nearly fell over. just got a new set

bryce_music

Likes Bikes
I had the same problem on my old bike.
I couldn't find anything on farkin, about it but when i googled i found this page;
http://www.vorb.org.nz/ftopict-71447-.html
I found that very useful. Also if you have any rides planned, and can't get it fixed in time,try putting a zip tie from the handlebar to the leaver to stop it going out of place. Get it fixed ASAP though. good luck :D

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
or a rubber band

so it comes back instantly when you take your fingers off the brakes :D

mate has done it with his codes

mlsred

Likes Dirt
rubber bands and zip ties work but if you cant ind an actual hayes 9 circlip try a motorbike store or something like that, circlips are used all the time you should be able to find one that fits even if it isn't a hayes brand

lyjg1130

Banned
作为企业公民的dhl

dhl北京如何看待自己的企业公民身份  作为一家全球物流服务提供商,我们的任务即是网络联结全世界。我们的目标是以具有吸引力的价格,完全环保的运作方式以及社会责任的切实履行为前提,为我们的客户提供最优秀的服务品质。  日益明显的一个事实是:全球性的公司若要保持长期盈利所必须解决的问题和挑战,已经与其所处社会提高全体公民的生活水平所必须解决的问题和挑战紧密结合在一起。   我们相信努力成为一名优秀北京dhl企业公民的承诺不论对公司还是社会来讲,都是创造可持续性价值的基本条件之一。只有这样才能保障我们所从事事业的可持续发展。  dhl北京之所以能成为优秀的企业公民关键在于我们对DHL是怎样的一家公司以及是什么使北京dhl取得了成功这两个问题有着清楚的认识。我们的服务覆盖了世界220多个国家和地区,包括早已开展业务的中国和环太平洋地区。对客户的需求我们反应迅速,并与客户建立无间的伙伴关系,为其商业需要提供解决方案。因此,自然而然的,我们作为企业公民也会遵循此道。   在dhl北京, 我们相信成为优秀企业公民与经营成功的企业同等重要。

mlsred

Likes Dirt
with some old bikes you can get just the circlips but thats for the pre 1960's british bikes :p you can try and ask really nicely or if that doesnt work drop to the floor and crack a massive tantrum

kjparker

Likes Dirt
dhl北京如何看待自己的企业公民身份  作为一家全球物流服务提供商,我们的任务即是网络联结全世界。我们的目标是以具有吸引力的价格,完全环保的运作方式以及社会责任的切实履行为前提,为我们的客户提供最优秀的服务品质。  日益明显的一个事实是:全球性的公司若要保持长期盈利所必须解决的问题和挑战,已经与其所处社会提高全体公民的生活水平所必须解决的问题和挑战紧密结合在一起。   我们相信努力成为一名优秀北京dhl企业公民的承诺不论对公司还是社会来讲,都是创造可持续性价值的基本条件之一。只有这样才能保障我们所从事事业的可持续发展。  dhl北京之所以能成为优秀的企业公民关键在于我们对DHL是怎样的一家公司以及是什么使北京dhl取得了成功这两个问题有着清楚的认识。我们的服务覆盖了世界220多个国家和地区,包括早已开展业务的中国和环太平洋地区。对客户的需求我们反应迅速,并与客户建立无间的伙伴关系,为其商业需要提供解决方案。因此,自然而然的,我们作为企业公民也会遵循此道。   在dhl北京, 我们相信成为优秀企业公民与经营成功的企业同等重要。
I used to have one of those, but the wheels fell off.

gness

Likes Bikes
Thanks for the replies fellas, looks like it might be an easy fix - guess a trip down to the lbs will tell.

I was actually considering using a rubber band to hold it in place cos this happened just as I was going to load the bike onto the car but figured I better not risk it failing on me at the wrong moment.