BRM-555 to DJ1's HELP!

Disco

Likes Dirt
I was running a Shimano Deore Caliper on my old forks (Pyslos and Dukes) and it worked fine... as they fitted the direct mount (6" ISIS) on the caliper. (BRM-555's dont use an adaptor...) Now my dillemma is I am now running DJ1's (2003, 20mm Bolt-Thru) and there seems to be about 7mm of space (parallel to the axle) between where the caliper sits on the disc and where the caliper should bolt onto the tabs of the fork. I cannot just space the caliper out, as then it only runs on about 3 threads of the caliper mounting bolts. Do i have any other options other than just Going to a bolt shop and getting longer bolts and using washers to space my caliper away from the fork?

HELP!

Michael

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
Longer bolts and 5mm of spacers should do the trick. 20mm is theproblem here, not the change of fork brands. This is still IS mount,only 8" IS.

Or 8" adapter and 8" rotor designed for 20mm.

4heckssake

Likes Dirt
Disco said:
I was running a Shimano Deore Caliper on my old forks (Pyslos and Dukes) and it worked fine... as they fitted the direct mount (6" ISIS) on the caliper. (BRM-555's dont use an adaptor...) Now my dillemma is I am now running DJ1's (2003, 20mm Bolt-Thru) and there seems to be about 7mm of space (parallel to the axle) between where the caliper sits on the disc and where the caliper should bolt onto the tabs of the fork. I cannot just space the caliper out, as then it only runs on about 3 threads of the caliper mounting bolts. Do i have any other options other than just Going to a bolt shop and getting longer bolts and using washers to space my caliper away from the fork?

HELP!

Michael
I have a hayes front mount that used to connect some hayes brakes to some DJ's using a 20mm thru axle wheel. I will also do the trick if you want a neater job then spacers.
It's gathering dust on my desk. Make me an offer, RRP is about $40.

Arran

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As j5ive said, a pair of 5mm spacing washers will do the trick. I had to use them on my 888's to make my Saint caliper fit.

4heckssake

Likes Dirt
j5ive said:
A hayes adapter isnt going to work. His brakes arn't post mount.
arh sorry, my mistake, i thought he had deore hydros with the mount - 525's.

move along, nothing to see here.

Disco

Likes Dirt
Arran, did you have any major problem with spacing out the caliper? Any specific bolt type you used (ie Stainless), and did spacing it out generate any kind of serious stress or flex in the caliper mounts?

Michael.

tu plang

knob
ive been running my brakes like this for ages now with no issues what so ever. firstly i had shimano cable brakes on DJ1s running ~5mm of spacers and then hope mono minis on same fork with spacers and now mono mini on z150 with spacers.

i was told that shimano now ships aftermarket 20mm forks with 2 ~5mm spacers.