Brisbane Mountain Bike Park..... Why not?

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey Guys,

Lately I have been doing some more reading as to the happenings in other states besides my own... Queensland. Due to many articles in Revolution, AMB, and articles and threads on here, many states/territories have their own Bike Parks popping up. Places such as Canberra, Victoria (Have heard of pretty definite plans) and South Australia with Eagle Park which has just received a massive make over.

Now I have nothing against that, and think it is great that the sport is growing at the rate it is in these states, but thats not really where the problem lies, for me anyway. Hearing the Queensland, and Brisbane alone being the fastest growing city in Australia, we are still waiting for something to happen in regards to a Mountain Bike Park.

If Brisbane is growing at such a gigantic rate, why can't we have a Mountain Bike Park? There is an ever increasing following of the sport here in QLD, with numbers growing most seasons, across the diversities of riding. I know at one point back in the early 2000's, there was plans for a park in Samford, but due to legal problems (Because it was private) it could not go ahead. Reading in the latest revolution magazine though, there may be some hope for one in in a suburb in-between Brisbane and Mt Tamborine, the suburb's name escapes me. There may be some hope this time, but I have my reservations about it.

I don't see why the Mountain Biking community isn't given some money for a decent facility though in Brisbane. The QLD government are funding some rather insignificant things recently, when it could be used for something slightly more beneficial such a MTB park or just some new legal trails. The councils seem to be very good at closing the trails, but not making new ones of the benefit of the public. I just personally think that seeing as though we are rapidly growing state/city there should be more facilities to benefit the population. I am sure there would be countless people willing to help the council in making a mountain bike park, but they have never given us the opportunity.

This all said too, off road motorbike riders also suffer, but more so the Moto X group. The number of places in QLD where you can go and ride Moto X with an unregistered bike are dwindling by the months. Once again the government/councils seem to be closing these as fast as they can, but are leaving all these riders with nothing. Yet when people go off and make their own 'illegal' trails, the government/councils wonder why. I personally think both of these sports which have a lot of followers should be given at least one decent, and permanent facility in which people can enjoy themselves, doing what they love.... riding.

It is not like we are asking for a stadium to be built for us to use. All we would need is some people power, some digging machinery and some basic facilities such as toilets, BBQ's and maybe even some showers. I know all this costs money and people may tell me why it can't be done.... but if Canberra, Victoria and South Australia can do it, why can't we?

That said I hoping that Glen Jacob's plans for South East Queensland, as mentioned in the latest Revolution magazine do come to fruition, but after the last attempt at a Bike Park in South East Queensland I have my reservations. Anyone who lives near the area as to which was proposed in the Revolution Magazine, have you heard or seen anything in any relation to the construction of a Mountain Bike Park?

This is just my opinion and I am positive there may be conflicting views, but I would like to hear your opinions, just interesting to see what other people think. Thanks guys for reading.

Last edited:

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
well sure it can happen, but the thing is, "there" not going to just give you money, you have to go and get it, you have to come up with a plan, propose a project (and not just "we want a mtb park", but come up a decent project with a good deal of planning, then go through all teh stages involved before anything is going to happen, its lots and lots of work... so if your passionate about it, then feel free to get out there and do it, it'd be a great thing, its been done a few times here in tasie and thanks to the guys that have done it as I know its a lot of work

.:ROBBO:.

Likes Dirt
We allready have a MTB park close to brisbane. Its been open for a couple of years now- http://tailwindpromotions.com.au/mtbpark.html Its no further than the planned park at Bromelton(near Beaudesert). Its mainly XC at the moment. But they have just compleated their first DH track with more planned. Im sure if there was enough support they would also look at accomodationg other styles of riding there.

There is also Scenic Rim adventure park which has shown some interest in accomodating the MTB community. http://www.scenicrimadventurepark.com.au/ I beleive the property has been used in the past for MTB activities before it was a 4wd park. They are also at Bromelton.

Having a park a lot closer to Bris would be nice but i dont think the land is available.

Last edited:

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wasn't really meaning that for there to be a Mountain Bike Park placed in Mt Gravatt because it is convienent, because it is immpossible. That said I guess like places in Beaudesert where there is a reasonable amount of land available, that somewhere like that could host a facility.

I know that in order to pull one off it would be a lot of hard work, and countless hours of construction, but the government/councils here have not even put the idea forward, which in some ways is rather disheartening.

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If Brisbane is growing at such a gigantic rate, why can't we have a Mountain Bike Park?
We do. Look up Old Hidden Vale. Haydz has some well established XC out there and is branching into the DH scene now. Also looks to have other facilities up n running too. The skills track (like a northshore/trials thing) looks pretty sweet in pics too.

[eidt] Also, just as a matter of interest, even if we did have an amazing park I don't think we could host a WC or something like that here. I was under the impression that there is a UCI rule that states that the event location can't be greater than a certain time distance away from the capital.

Viv92

Eats Squid
We do. Look up Old Hidden Vale. Haydz has some well established XC out there and is branching into the DH scene now. Also looks to have other facilities up n running too. The skills track (like a northshore/trials thing) looks pretty sweet in pics too.

[eidt] Also, just as a matter of interest, even if we did have an amazing park I don't think we could host a WC or something like that here. I was under the impression that there is a UCI rule that states that the event location can't be greater than a certain time distance away from the capital.
It's do with distance from airports and hospitals I think, definitely not from the capital city of a country.

I know that in order to pull one off it would be a lot of hard work, and countless hours of construction, but the government/councils here have not even put the idea forward, which in some ways is rather disheartening.
I doubt the govt. put forward the idea anywhere else, mtb'ers would have lobbied the govt for a park.

Sprocketsss

Cannon Fodder
I reckon if we had some really good people that were seriously dedicted to the sport and were willing to put in the work brisbane could get an mtb park. anyway there are quite a few spots to ride around here, but i guess thats the problem there are only "spots" ther is nowhere you could go and spend a solid days DHing.

tumble

Likes Dirt
Ill definately be heading to the upcoming DH event on out at Old Hidden Vale to suss out this MTB Park for the first time.
Details here: http://tailwindpromotions.com.au/dustydemons/index.html
Hopefully it's got the goods to fill QLDs void.

edit: A quick search on RB pulled up no posts by "Tailwind Promotions" about this event. What aren't they "PROMOTING" this?

Last edited:

Blythy

Likes Dirt
Agreed...councils always pull out a near $200,000 for every suburb to ensure that it has a skate park...sure thats good for bmxers, skateboarders, and unfourtenatly scooterers, but when us mountain bikers just ask for just one decent mtb park we are rejected immidiatly...

Sam91

Likes Bikes
Nick there are two words stopping all this from happening, Cambell Newman
I think it was viv that posted up that mountain bike survey almost a year ago, and yet nothing seems to have come from that, all the gov seems to be doing is finding a new excuse to say no.

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Agreed...councils always pull out a near $200,000 for every suburb to ensure that it has a skate park...sure thats good for bmxers, skateboarders, and unfourtenatly scooterers, but when us mountain bikers just ask for just one decent mtb park we are rejected immidiatly...
Nick there are two words stopping all this from happening, Cambell Newman
I think it was viv that posted up that mountain bike survey almost a year ago, and yet nothing seems to have come from that, all the gov seems to be doing is finding a new excuse to say no.
Yeah thats the part that really doesn't comprehend for me.

Almost every skate park I have been past, there is no concrete area that has not been graffiti'ed etc, and or there been local fights etc. Yet with MTB'ing, the enthusiasts of teh sport are actually willing to lend a hand in the creation, and maintenance of the trails. Yet with the skate park not one of them (Besides a select few) would want to help clean off the graffiti etc. I am not here to bag out BMX'ers, Skate boarders, roller blader's and the likes, but it just seems rather odd that the council's don't see what I see.

FLE

Likes Dirt
Yeah thats the part that really doesn't comprehend for me.

Almost every skate park I have been past, there is no concrete area that has not been graffiti'ed etc, and or there been local fights etc. Yet with MTB'ing, the enthusiasts of teh sport are actually willing to lend a hand in the creation, and maintenance of the trails. .
great point dirt king

why not start a petition and let campbell newman see how many of us actually want a MTB park? (ranging from all capabilities due to brisbanes fast growing rate and people getting into the sport)

Reece.

Likes Dirt
great point dirt king

why not start a petition and let campbell newman see how many of us actually want a MTB park? (ranging from all capabilities due to brisbanes fast growing rate and people getting into the sport)
Unfortunately we have tried many many times!
At this point its like pissing into the wind...

MasterOfReality

After forever
We also have our fair share of legal riding areas that other cities don't have (correct me if I'm wrong) that are fairly accessible, and that probably puts a dedicated mountain bike park on the back burner with the council.

I'm on the west side of Brisbane and ride at the Brisbane Forest Park at Anstead, as its only 5 minutes from my house.

tumble

Likes Dirt
We also have our fair share of legal riding areas that other cities don't have (correct me if I'm wrong) that are fairly accessible, and that probably puts a dedicated mountain bike park on the back burner with the council.

I'm on the west side of Brisbane and ride at the Brisbane Forest Park at Anstead, as its only 5 minutes from my house.
I think we're primarily talking about downhill trails. The closest downhill to there is Upper Brookfeild private tracks. Upper Brookfeild is ideal terrain for a MTB park but it's in Brisbane City Council you can forget it while Campbell Newman is lord mayor.
The only chance we have while he is power is within a surrounding shire.

bloodzy

Squid
Old Hidden Vale is an awesome venue to ride, love the single track out there. Have' t ridden the DH trail yet but it looks flat out and nasty, the view from the top of it is pretty good and driving up the shuttle track is an experience haha. Haydz and the crew sure now how to throw a BBQ and keep there events fun and interesting.

It's not too far from a medical center either(Gatton). Had to run an injured moto rider there who was tasked with following the riders in the 08 epic but busted his collarbone falling of his moto

BB1

Likes Dirt
Hi guys - interesting thread, especially as it's something I'm looking into at the moment. A few of us at BSMC (the old Rats, I'll always think of it that way!) are looking at a few options at the moment. We are primarily interested in DH tracks, but there has been a few options bandied about in terms of bike parks as well. Don't get me wrong, I think this is going to be a long road but if we can start pulling in support it's got to help all of us. And it isn't going to happen unless we push it.

We've got a few good leads from the clubs who put together the proposals for Eagle Park, Rocky etc so we're going to start contacting them to see what we can find out.

Probably the biggest part of this is to make sure we've got everything lined up so when we put a proposal to council we've covered off most of the bases.

If you're interested in helping out or have anything to contribute please send me a PM. We'll be having an informal meeting soon to work out the way forward, I just hope it actually turns into something and gathers momentum.