Breaks not being used

x3foz

Likes Bikes
Ha RB my brother has a 2012 reign that has been sitting rnd for 6mths we are planing a ride this weekend but he checked his bike yesterday and the breaks are locked on. They are just avid elixer 1. I have read that these breaks don't like not being used due to the seals going hard!! Is it just a matter of bleeding them if so would you do lever first??

x3foz

Likes Bikes
I'm not usually a spelling Nazi but I think you mean brakes :mullet:
As a new member I've been reading a lot and there are a many of people who are concerned about correcting people grammatical errors also there is a lot of swearing and petty argument between senior members. So it must be acceptable to do so.
If I wanted a fucking spelling lesson is go back to school but thank you for your concern I have a saying that goes. When being criticised consider the person who is criticising you!!
Does any one have any useful information?

Sic

Likes Dirt
I find a great way to get people to help you is to not insult them.

Although as you've pointed out, you didnt come here for a spelling lesson, taking the time to put grammar and some form of structure to your posts also helps people understand your questions/points which in turn makes it more likely they will help.

As for the brakes they probably just need a bleed.

x3foz

Likes Bikes
Yea I agree a clear concise message can make all the difference!!
Does it make a difference in what order they are bleed ie levers first??

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Elixirs are not a brake to leave unused for an extended period. Give a bleed a go but if they do it again, bin them and buy some mineral oil brakes if they are going to sit for a month at a time between rides.

I had a mate in a similar situation. Brakes were eventually sent to SRAM, they rebuilt (not replaced) them under warranty. Worked fine for a short period then munted again.

x3foz

Likes Bikes
Yeah I've read that. We will give it a try! I have the same brakes and I'm looking to upgrade ASAP

Sent from some fancy iThingy