Brakes for 98 FSR Ground Control Comp

Gary

Squid
Hi Folks,

Newbie question (so please be gentle :? ) I am looking to upgrade the brakes on my mango-pip (std rear configuration and with '99 Judy XC fork). Prefer to go for disks, the V's don't like water 'n mud, and I was hoping someone could give me some suggestions (apart from getting a new steed) on what would work? No disk mounts on the rear- aarrgghh.

Thanks
Gary

Byatch

Banned
I'm not too sure on the appropriateness (design/materials), but Grip would (I imagine) be more than happy to slap some mounts on the frame for ya.

GrubNut

Likes Dirt
You might have a hard time finding an adapter for a disc caliper for those Judy XCs as I think the brake tabs were different to the IS mounts you find on forks now.

I'd probably just stick with some high end V's on that bike.

Davf

Likes Dirt
Mate, this is a perfect reason to go upgrade your frame/forks...go on, you know you want to! :wink: The adapters AND the disc's will add up quite expensive, so IMO, new frame 8)

Gary

Squid
Thanks all, I'll keep my ears open for options, but I think for now the v's will have to be upgraded, the brackets/disks are just too expensive. Appreciate the advice :)

Cheers
Gary

FuTAnT

Likes Dirt
Gary said:
Thanks all, I'll keep my ears open for options, but I think for now the v's will have to be upgraded, the brackets/disks are just too expensive. Appreciate the advice :)

Cheers
Gary
DHdirect.com.au have a set of disks and calipers for $100 front n rear. Surely V brakes would be similar?

wombat

Lives in a hole
FuTAnT said:
Gary said:

Cheers
Gary
DHdirect.com.au have a set of disks and calipers for $100 front n rear. Surely V brakes would be similar?
I think by brackets though he means adaptors like the one cave dweller pictured above. When you haven't got a disk compatible frame/fork, things start to get complicated.

Really though, decent, well setup vees can work brillantly. If I was in your position I'd be looking at something similar to the setup I run on my trials bike, but with different pads and different adjustments:
Avid SD5 caliper
SD/AD levers (SD is nice, but you don't need it)
GOOD CABLES! Can't stress how important this is
Good pads, something along the line of koolstop thinlines should do the trick for trailwork.

It's definately not top of the range gear, so it's all "reasonably" priced, and it works like a charm.