Bottle Cages with tool storage - What are the options?

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
That's all I use. Small bag holds multitool, tube and levers.

Functional, not particularly elegant but then neither are the modified bottle cages.
I used to think like this...and then I got a bike with SWAT.

Being able to access the multi-tool in seconds means you use it more often to make trailside adjustments that you'd otherwise ignore. It's bloody brilliant!

Warp

Likes Dirt
While on this topic, has anyone adapted a saddle bag to the frame?

See, a saddle bag is already normally compact and just the right size for essentials. If you could fit an existing saddle bag to the frame, you would only need a normal water bottle and cage.

Yes, I know there are frame bags available. But most of them are big, I'm too cheap and I have a saddle bag I don't use since I use a dropper.

I normally tape a tube to the frame, but I had to discard the last tube stuck to the frame as it cracked because of exposure to elements and I haven't had a flat in ages.

Z

Zaf

See, a saddle bag is already normally compact and just the right size for essentials. If you could fit an existing saddle bag to the frame, you would only need a normal water bottle and cage.

Yes, I know there are frame bags available. But most of them are big, I'm too cheap and I have a saddle bag I don't use since I use a dropper.

I normally tape a tube to the frame, but I had to discard the last tube stuck to the frame as it cracked because of exposure to elements and I haven't had a flat in ages.
Mint has a brilliant frame bag made for his Transition Patrol, I'll try get him to drop a post of it here as he'll have the details of the guy who made it.

On my Honzo I just have a little strap, that is very low profile, and holds a 29er tube, levers and a patch kit no worries, without taking up much space.

BT180

Max Pfaff
I'd love to ditch my 8 year old hydration pack and go the integrated bottle/tool option. But then what to do with my fekking phone?!

BT180

Max Pfaff
@Ivan - Did you end up getting anything? I'm trying to find stockists of the Syncros Matchbox Tailor Cage HV1.5.

poiterpan

Likes Bikes

This saddle bag squeezes in the space well. Room for topeak survival box, tube, mini pump and basic fist aid. Lower centre of gravity helps. I can also fit a 750ml bottle there.
Giant trance 2014.

Ivan

Eats Squid
@Ivan - Did you end up getting anything? I'm trying to find stockists of the Syncros Matchbox Tailor Cage HV1.5.
No, I didn't get anything as I've been off the bike with an injury.

The new one-up tool kit that fits inside your steerer looks nifty, but could be a while away from being on sale.

If you not sure what I'm on about check Richie Rudes instagram.

BT180

Max Pfaff
The new one-up tool kit that fits inside your steerer looks nifty, but could be a while away from being on sale.

If you not sure what I'm on about check Richie Rudes instagram.
Yeah, I saw that. Looks great! I just want to be able to take a pump with me too. Although if I pull my finger out and setup tubeless I could probably get a way with the new Dynaplug/Co2 combo.

puffmoike

Likes Dirt
My (theoretical) ideal setup would be:

• a side mount cage (my Lezyne Flow Cage SL http://www.lezyne.com/product-botcg-flowcagesl.php works brilliantly with a 710ml Camelbak Podium on my Trek Fuel EX 18.5 – bottle has only come out once in a big off)
• with a decently sized bottom storage section (the SKS Spacecage http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/spacecage/ looks like a robust mounting system, but the storage area is tiny.

This would be a bit like Specialized’s MTB XC Box https://www.specialized.com/au/en/mtb-xc-box/p/130105, but that won’t fit on my bike because of where the cables exit the down tube.

Ideally you could buy different depth container sections to fit your own bike.

Thinking of trying to DIY something by finding a suitably sized container (perhaps skincare/haircare) and screwing the lid to the bottom of a bottle cage, but that won’t have the strength of the SKS system.