Bonogin (smith road) downhill track - closed permanently

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
"Illegal access and damage to vegetation are a prohibited Offences under Section 10 & 16 of Local Law 9 with a maximum penalty of $5000."
they will take down your details and after a few people they will most probably follow it up.
they can only take down your details if you give them. plus thery would have to prove that you actually damaged something.
and like i said before, if they are going to make the track unridable then surely they would be damaging stuff.

J

JaRedy

.....and like i said before, if they are going to make the track unridable then surely they would be damaging stuff.
I remember a couple of years ago when a local track was imobolised. Reason for closing/hating = Damage to Fauna and Flora. How did they close the track? They Cut down live trees that lined the track and felled them over the track...ahem!

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
they can only take down your details if you give them. plus thery would have to prove that you actually damaged something.
and like i said before, if they are going to make the track unridable then surely they would be damaging stuff.
"Council staff will now undertake random patrols of the area with vehicle registration details being forwarded to Council's Local Law Unit for enforcement."
your choice man

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
a) Arrive at destination.
b) Remove number plates.
c) Ride bike.
d) Leave destination.
e) Attach number plates.
f) Drink beer.

d and e are interchangeable and f should be repeated at least 3 times.

Last edited:

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
"Council staff will now undertake random patrols of the area with vehicle registration details being forwarded to Council's Local Law Unit for enforcement."
your choice man
your car being somewhere is proof of nothing, what could they charge you with? owninga registerd vehicle and using it.

J

JaRedy

We should all just take a chill pill and think about what we are doing here. I wish I could just bake a cake full of rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy and we would have badass legal tracks.

So moving on to the next stage, is there anything that can be done?

d_j1

Likes Dirt
All

/SNIP

There will be plenty of opportunity shortly for riders to help reinstate the legal tracks at Illinbah - we are just waiting on an access road to be finished from Saddleback to top forest entry. Keep an eye out on this forum and Gold Coast MTB Club Inc. Facebook and web page (www.gcmtb.com.au)

Thanks,

Harvey

/SNIP
Could you possible elaborate on this by any chance? The way I'm reading it is that we have the potential to ride Illinbah whenever. Maybe I'm just high.

harveyp

Likes Dirt
This still d
Could you possible elaborate on this by any chance? The way I'm reading it is that we have the potential to ride Illinbah whenever. Maybe I'm just high.
I have absolutely no idea how you managed to come to that conclusion? To set the record straight - Illinbah is private property and the only opportunity you have of riding there is when Gold Coast Club holds an event be it race, fun day, track maintenance. The point I was trying to get across to everyone was that as soon as we can access the tracks, the more hands helping restore them to a riding condition - the sooner we can hold more fun days etc. There is still the issue of insurance whilst working/riding at Illinbah and we are still investigating that however; most Clubs in Australia are now adopting the stance that to participate in organised events you must hold MTBA membership which includes Club membership. The reason being is that MTBA membership includes a component for Personal Injury insurance whereas Day Licences/Permits do not. More to come on this

Oppy

Likes Dirt
We should all just take a chill pill and think about what we are doing here. I wish I could just bake a cake full of rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy and we would have badass legal tracks.

So moving on to the next stage, is there anything that can be done?
You could try sending an email to Howard asking him about what legal alternatives are available from GCCC for downhill riding and mountain bike riding in general. If they are going to say 'not here' then our response is 'then where?'.

Last edited:

Oppy

Likes Dirt
I emailed a contact with Gold Coast City Council (GCCC) and got the following response.

I caught up with XXX XXXX riding the track a couple of days before decommissioning the track. I went out on patrol with a colleague deliberately to attempt to catch up with riders for a yarn. I explained why it was going to be decommissioned (not sustainable, major vegetation damage including R&T's, litigation, and impact on other users etc). XXX seemed pretty sensible about it, albeit disappointed. I had quite along talk to him about the issue and we exchanged contacts.

GCCC's policy cannot support downhill at this point in its Natural Areas. However I have asked XXX to get a group together and get back in touch so GCCC and club/group can discuss the issue. I intend to contact XXX to see how things might be going this week. These riders need to come forward, in the right forum, to make things go forward.
R&T's = Rare and Threatened species

Last edited:

harveyp

Likes Dirt
I emailed a contact with Gold Coast City Council (GCCC) and got the following response.
And this guy's, is the way to approach it! Forget the 'they can't touch us or our vehicles' approach and start negotiating for legitimate trails. Put up your justifications for having DH trails in the GCCC region and base it on fact not emotion! Remember - short term pain for long term gain!!

Deadman

Likes Dirt
Bonogin fans - Someone needs to step up!

Well done Oppy and Well said HarveyP.

You've been invited to have your say, get people together and chat with Howard. Be reasonable and understand and respect his position and he appears to be willing to do the same with DH'ers.

DH'ers were not represented at any Dump Run meeting. The horse lobby was well represented at all levels, and guess what, they have horse trails where we once had a DH track. Don't be slow to learn the lessons.

Good Luck.

jody263

Likes Bikes
so are we goin to meet up for a chat-beer somewhere?
has gcmtb comitty been contacted?
whats the next step?

harveyp

Likes Dirt
so are we goin to meet up for a chat-beer somewhere?
has gcmtb comitty been contacted?
whats the next step?
Mate, this is about you guy's that want to ride - why push the workload back onto an already overworked Club Committee who, in the main do not ride Downhill? Time for you blokes to man up and do some of the front work to get this happening. I am happy to mention it at our annual general meeting next Saturday but as for our Club Committee taking responsibility to progress the issue with GCCC Ranger - I doubt it?

RYDA

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Who will listen to a bunch of nameless people wanting something that is obviously not even penciled into their 'sustainable' agenda?