body armour?

ya_frizz

Likes Dirt
hi i just bought some new 661 body armour / presuir suit for the state series ready for barjarg, i think it might be a little big, the shoulder and elbow plates don't adzactly sit properly does it matter all that much?
do most guys where body armour? was it worth the money? i paid 200 for it
which i thought was quite reasanable

thanks, marcus

Attachments

Last edited:

pin'd_it

Likes Dirt
sorry i cant comment on the fit, as i usually borrow my mates armour and im not entirely sure how its meant to fit either. however im sure alot of people will be using body armour of some sort, rangeing from just elbows to the full pressure suit like yourself.

to comment on the "was it worth it" question, is to ask answer two questions in itself. yes body armour is worth it, it is far cheaper than a shoulder reconstruction or needing stiches because you didnt wear it. but we need a price of what you paid to answer if it was a good deal you got for it.

andy

McPete

Likes Dirt
If you bought it off Torpedo7, they're usually quite happy to exchange stuff that's the wrong size.

If you can't get it exchanged, and it's still reasonably comfortable, I'd wear it anyway. I'd rather more protection than a jersey, even if it isn't a perfect fit.

heath_92

Banned
I've got a mate who was "Too cool" for body armor at eildon and ended up eating it. He got grazed all over but nothing broken.

My advice is to put it on and go for a roll down a hill and swing your arms around a bit, If it moves out of place then it is too big if not then your sweet.

McPete

Likes Dirt
And the bloke who wears that buys an X0 rear mech over an X9 on the basis of weight savings :p

ollieo

Likes Dirt
armour

They recon people are better drivers when not wearing seat belts. something about being more carefull when not protected... Kind of feel the same with armour. Free riding trails and not pushing it , more fun without. Going against the clock put it all on Bloody hot in qld though!!

ya_frizz

Likes Dirt
armour

haha that night guy was a pissa
yer i paid $200 which i thought was quite reasonable
i heard it gives you a bit of a confidence booster is that true?

psychosteve

Likes Dirt
I don't reakon you need amour. Iwear knee/shin gaurds (cause of pedals) and i reakon coming off and hurting yourself give you something to show the girls, as i did with my colar bone and they never stopped asking to look at it. :D:D

Cam1

Likes Bikes
hey dude I'll give you my opinion on body armour:

It's crap!

It slows you down and can actually cause you to crash more frequently because it may be uncomfortable and cumbersome. (I can't back that up because I've only ever worn cheap nasty 2nd hand stuff).

It also puts you in a state of mind where you are constantly reminded that you may hurt yourself while riding. Wearing body armour is saying to yourself, "I'm going to crash, so when I do I have this armour to protect me." -Not wearing body armour keeps you in a state of blissful ignorance to the risks of downhilling :D

Also, owning/wearing body armour will always make you think, "the time I don't wear it is the time I'll hurt myself." -By not EVER wearing it you can avoid this dilemma :D

And from personal experience mate all I can really say is this, it's just luck.
I've never worn anything more than gloves and knee guards and the worst injury I've ever had is cuts and grazes, and I go as hard as I can.

Wear body armour if you want to but i suggest you get rid of it :D

Cheers dude catchya at Barjarg!

Cam.

fuzz

Likes Dirt

It's crap!

It slows you down and can actually cause you to crash more frequently because it may be uncomfortable and cumbersome. (I can't back that up because I've only ever worn cheap nasty 2nd hand stuff).

It also puts you in a state of mind where you are constantly reminded that you may hurt yourself while riding. Wearing body armour is saying to yourself, "I'm going to crash, so when I do I have this armour to protect me." -Not wearing body armour keeps you in a state of blissful ignorance to the risks of downhilling :D

Also, owning/wearing body armour will always make you think, "the time I don't wear it is the time I'll hurt myself." -By not EVER wearing it you can avoid this dilemma :D

I've never worn anything more than gloves and knee guards and the worst injury I've ever had is cuts and grazes, and I go as hard as I can.

Cam.
I don't reakon you need amour. Iwear knee/shin gaurds (cause of pedals) and i reakon coming off and hurting yourself give you something to show the girls, as i did with my colar bone and they never stopped asking to look at it. :D:D

i will love to see your reactions when you blow a tyre going full stick then washing out hard into the nearest tree that doesnt bend . for some reason i dont think a pair of Gloves and Knee/Shin gaurds are going for save you Ribs from breaking in a few places! :eek: id go for the armor if your going to be going hard!

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Wear what you think is comfortable, not what the farkin population says to do.

Try the armour out, get it fitted properly or it'll be fairly useless.

McPete

Likes Dirt
As cool as electric wheelchairs may look, I'd like to have some spine armor for DH. Just incase it all goes pear-shaped.

antonfourie

Likes Dirt

It's crap!

Cam.
Dude please let us know where you ride so that we can come and watch and laugh at you bleeding when you crash, if you say you don't crash then you are not riding hard enough

ya_frizz

Likes Dirt
yer i ended up getting that armour in the pic, it also has the spine pading which is good, i have never riding with armour but we'll see how it goes, whereing no armour is clearly much more comfotable than having it.having the armour might make me more feerless when ive got it on. whos riding up at barjarg? because thats my first comp where i'll be trying it out

marcus

THE Manik Man

Likes Dirt
Is it worth it, when you look down at your armour and there is a deep gouge in it after a tiny wash out your question will be answered. But seriously i use the same pressure suit, once you ride in them a few times you don't even know there on and if you go down hard your know were near as shaken up. Only time they really suck is when your pushing up and its around 35 degrees

trouble

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've always worn armour, always, but lately I am finding I dont wear it racing as well as doing stuff like oxford cause it's hot,and armour bother's me. It's your choice. But armour gets my vote any day when it's not above 25 degrees

Cam1

Likes Bikes
Yeah I wasn't really that serious ;)

But I don't wear it and I will pay the price one day, obviously I've crashed a lot in the years I've been riding (who hasn't?) but fortunately just never done any serious damage. Some dude wants to come watch me bleed - weird :S