tomshady3

Squid
heyy boys
can any1 lend us a hand
ive being riding bmx the mijoritiy of my life
but i mainly do dirt jumps and trails
i like the feel of the bmx and its lightness and handling
but am considering a dj/hardtial
but dont want to buy one and not be able too jump it?
cheers
tom

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
The only way you're going to be able to decide, then, is by trying it. Find a mate with a 26 or 24" jump bike you can ride and see if it suits you/you like it. At the end of the day, it's always going to be a personal preference thing, and it's not something you can really get advice for over the internet.

Case in point: I rode MTB for years, then bought a BMX for fun. Stopped riding dirt jumps altogether and rode a lot of park. Never got good at it, never got entirely comfortable on a BMX. I decided I wanted to start riding dirt again, and tried to do so on my BMX, but couldn't - too uncomfortable, awkward, whatever - I just couldn't hit anything bigger than an anthill. So, I ditched the BMX and bought a 24" MTB. Still can't ride park or street for shit, but that doesn't matter, because I'm comfortable and happy again riding trails.

That said, if I could have got to a point where I was comfortable riding dirt on BMX, there's no way I would have changed back to MTB. Pretty much everything on BMX looks way more styled and smooth than on MTB.

BLAKE-2234

Likes Bikes and Dirt
leitch is on the money its allways personal preference

i rode bmx for ages then got into mtb did the dh thing then bought a dj/street mtb did that and never really got any good at park on it so i recently bought another bmx and have been hitting up park and street like nothing else and couldnt be happier to be back on a 20"

pascal

Likes Dirt
I used to ride a BMX and I couldnt really jump it that well, I bought a dirt jumper and I felt much more confident!
I find it much better to jump a hardtail/DJ bike for dirt jumps.

tomshady3

Squid
The only way you're going to be able to decide, then, is by trying it. Find a mate with a 26 or 24" jump bike you can ride and see if it suits you/you like it. At the end of the day, it's always going to be a personal preference thing, and it's not something you can really get advice for over the internet.

Case in point: I rode MTB for years, then bought a BMX for fun. Stopped riding dirt jumps altogether and rode a lot of park. Never got good at it, never got entirely comfortable on a BMX. I decided I wanted to start riding dirt again, and tried to do so on my BMX, but couldn't - too uncomfortable, awkward, whatever - I just couldn't hit anything bigger than an anthill. So, I ditched the BMX and bought a 24" MTB. Still can't ride park or street for shit, but that doesn't matter, because I'm comfortable and happy again riding trails.

That said, if I could have got to a point where I was comfortable riding dirt on BMX, there's no way I would have changed back to MTB. Pretty much everything on BMX looks way more styled and smooth than on MTB.
thanks for ya help man
also
if i couldnt choose b/w two bikes one being bmx and other dj
which one found two
fit flow
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187228
or kona shred
http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194197

sickdogmadrash

Likes Dirt

high tower

Likes Bikes
What about a Sunday Model C?
according to Jim C, its supposed to be more comfortable than a 20inch, but still handles the same as a bmx.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
What an odd looking bicycle....

Personally I ride both, and find that one helps out the other - jumping from a bmx to a 26" hardtail I find that I can pedal harder and faster (used to single speed I guess) and it all feels much more stable. You also have shocks to get you out of trouble should you nose dive.

Going back to the bmx you feel like you can manual for miles and bunnyhop over a car, it feels infinitely chuckable. Of course the short wheelbase and little wheels makes it feel crazy squirelly.

If you've been bmx'ing for your whole riding "career" and all you want to do is dirt jump I'd stick with the bmx personally - the only reason I got an mtb was to try downhill. You will get used to whatever you ride

dom101

Likes Dirt
hmmm mate this post really doesnt make much sense. you say you already ride bmx, so why post up a link of a BMX? and ask if you should buy it?
The kona is the only dj bike you'v posted up and if your considering it as a comparison to that fitflow then that could be a bit unrealistic; the Kona has some decent 09 parts and would probably cost alot more than the fit ($550)

if your used to riding BMX then you'd be more comfortable on a 24"(ish) frame with low travel forks and a very low profile. something like this.

bit of a comparison with a similair frame profile.

both are prrretty low, i ride a colony phantom and its pretty bloody low, after having that then jumping on a mates night train it wasn't too much of a transition really. its up to you but i'd personally go with something more similair to a BMX

Last edited:

tomshady3

Squid
hmmm mate this post really doesnt make much sense. you say you already ride bmx, so why post up a link of a BMX? and ask if you should buy it?
The kona is the only dj bike you'v posted up and if your considering it as a comparison to that fitflow then that could be a bit unrealistic; the Kona has some decent 09 parts and would probably cost alot more than the fit ($550)

if your used to riding BMX then you'd be more comfortable on a 24"(ish) frame with low travel forks and a very low profile. something like this.

bit of a comparison with a similair frame profile.

both are prrretty low, i ride a colony phantom and its pretty bloody low, after having that then jumping on a mates night train it wasn't too much of a transition really. its up to you but i'd personally go with something more similair to a BMX
yeh sorry mate
im only new so its gonna take me while to get used to posting properly
cheers

dom101

Likes Dirt
dude im only new to this shit
so go easy
yeah we've all been there.
chill
oh and another tip is; if your going to quote someone (like you did before with my post) then take out the pictures, they just take up space and its a bit boring looking at the same pictures every post, the picture URL's look like this:

tomshady3

Squid
yeah we've all been there.
chill
oh and another tip is; if your going to quote someone (like you did before with my post) then take out the pictures, they just take up space and its a bit boring looking at the same pictures every post, the picture URL's look like this:
ahhk
alrighty thanks for help man
much appreciate it
cheers

BMXband1t

Likes Bikes
I ride BMX but also have a DJ bike...

For what you do (by the sound of it) you should probably get a DJ bike

They are heaps better