Bmx *death* statistics

matt123

Likes Dirt
I am currently doing a project on bmx injuries.

We need to know:

-What are the most common injuries resulting from participating in this activity and why?

-What are aust. or Vic. stats on deaths and unjuries resulting from bmx?

- When are people most risk of death or injury when participating in activity?

- What steps can be taken to prevent injury?

- Are there any laws for the safe participation in this activity?

We have tried searching for the information but were unable to find it.

any help would be good.

post your stacks

Thanks,

Matt

I-shred

Likes Dirt
As he said this is for a report for school or the such. So why would you write something like that?
Sorry i have nothing to add, people like the above post just make me frustrated.

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As he said this is for a report for school or the such. So why would you write something like that?
Sorry i have nothing to add, people like the above post just make me frustrated.
Don't get frustrated.
You can be guaranteed there will be at least one response (often many) on Rotorburn that's completely pointless, no matter how clear the topic.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I'd think the worst injuries would result from backflips over spines, in most other cases riders seem to be able to bale pretty easily. Also these seem to be very often performed while wearing zero head protection.

Last edited:

steve r

Likes Dirt
how is a bakie over a spine an injury???

the most common injury would have to be fucked shins and knees/elbow kinda ones at least thats what i mainly get.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
No, slapping your head into the spine while rotating through would be probably the best way to give yourself a serious/fatal injury with limited possibility of bailing to safety.

bike-roy

Likes Dirt
fr crew. Are you just meaning that in a situation of someone stacking on a flip on a spine would cause serious damage,
or are you making the assumption that most bmx related injuries are caused by backflips over spines gone wrong.

im hoping that its the first option.

And as for OP, things like shin,knee,hand,elbow damage like grazes would be most common id say.
Arms (radius and ulna) also seem to be a very common bone to break.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Yes, that the penalty for failure on backies is higher than for many other things if it goes pear shaped. I mean, sure, casing into the back face of a big double would be bad, but from when I've been looking at guys riding, stuff like that going wrong normally happens slow enough that folks can bail.

I don't think there are that many deaths or serious injuries at all, like you've said roy, it normally seems to be the occasional broken wrist but usu just bruises and scrapes

You guys seem to use a different flavor of gravity to the one I use.

Bike Batts, if you're such an expert on the issue (something I've never claimed to be) then maybe you could provide some constructive input to the OP?

Last edited:
Bike Batts, if you're such an expert on the issue (something I've never claimed to be) then maybe you could provide some constructive input to the OP?
Clavicle Bone - Surgeon told me 17% of all collar bone breaks are due to mtbing in Australia and 25% as a result of cycling (all kinds).

mtb_mark

Likes Dirt
bmx injuries

i reckon the most common are shinnies, and gettin nutted on the seat/top tube.

dunno the stats.

people are most at risk (my opinion) when doing street (rails/ stair sets) without a helmet.

to prevent- wear a helmet, dont try stupid things and dont snake people

dunno about laws