bmx cranks on jump bike

niceride

Likes Bikes
hi i was just wondering if its worth puting bmx crank on my jump bike atm i have truvativ luftarm i think they are rather heavy. im using it for dj some street and i might start 4x
id appreciate any input

david123

Likes Bikes
BMX cranks are generally a lot stiffer, stronger and can be lighter as well.

Depending on what bb you have on your frame you are limited to some choices. Im going to guess and say you will need a euro bb which means you should look for a pair of cranks with a 19mm spindle (eg profiles) as with some cranks that run a 22mm spindle (eg hollowbites), the bearings are very small and are weaker

SPUD94

Squid
bmx cranks run well on dj's if there 19mm bb. if it is get the profiles as they are worth the extra money, dont go with wombolts either as these are know to break on the non drive side (i think). go with a 48 spline cranks too there way better then the pinch bolt 8 spline ones. hope this helps

Disco

Likes Dirt
Common sense would lean towards a 22mm axle over a 19mm for stifness and strength, and the opposite for bearing durability.

The problem with LH Wombolt cranks was the cluster, not the arms, easily fixed. No comment on the newer Twombolts.

Although the luftalarms are heavy, they're solid. I ran a polished set with 25T sprocket and bash, tried to break them with repeated pedal grinds, sprocket abubacas and sprocket slides with no success.

And I'll be bolting them back on again in the near future.

Mikey.

dhDRucer

Likes Dirt
yess.95% of all good djs run bmx cranks.Im currently running colony colonials on a euro bb for like 5 month and the bearings are still fine.They are stiffer, lighter and look sexyer then mtb cranks.

niceride

Likes Bikes
atm i am running truvativ luftalarm aparently they are bmx craks and only 830grams with 25t sproket
wat do u guys think is it worth getting bmx cranks