bike upgrade question's

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
im slowly fixing up my bike over time.
i have over the last few months changed the v brakes from LX to XTR,
change the forks and headset etc and in the future i would like to change the frame.

the bike is an old Shogun (thats it laugh away) Slickrock LX - it's one of the older style ones with the merida frame and full LX groupset, Mavic rims etc.
it's not to bad a bike but eh i need a change.

the new forks i put on have disc mounts and after riding my missus bike i woudent mind changing to disc's, so im thinking might upgrade.
the only thing really stopping me is the front wheel.

i can change the hub but i dont have any patience with wheel building and my brother who was a bike mechanic for 15 years and an awesome wheel builder is to damn slack.
also when i do this i would have to replace all the spokes etc as there getting on in age.
the other option is to buy a complete wheelset, i was looking at the shimano WH-M540.
are these disc compatible and what are they like for general XC riding.

i plan on doing the front first then when i change the frame to the rear as my current frame doesnt have mounts.

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
May aswell get a new frame if you can afford it and you don't like your current one. (Its probably a cheap idea for him anyway). Some cheap disc brakes that work well from experience are Hayes HFX 9 XC (Rrp $300 per end) you can get em second hand for around $100 - $150 these days. Or if you want mechanical maybe a Hayes MX 2 or the newer GX 2 (Rrp $150) You can get them per end for about $30 though.

I wouldn't reccomend buying a new wheelset, unless you can afford it ofcourse :D :p :D Your probably better off just buying a new hub though, it will save a fair bit of money.

alexb618

Likes Dirt
dont forget if you buy a hub it will cost about $100 to build the wheel as there is a good chance you will get spoke length and lacing wrong if you do it yourself (= crash)

you will prob be better off buying a 2nd hand disc wheelset

Bobby_Digital

Likes Bikes
building it wont cost anything apart from new spokes and nipples.
as i said in my first post my brother was a bike mechanic for 15 years and is regarded by many riders as one of the best there was but is a little slack these days but im sure me rocking up with a slab would change things :D