Bike suggestions around $2500

cheif_m

Likes Dirt
Hi all
I am currently in the market for an all mountain bike, and dont really know what to get. can anyone suggest some bikes for about $2500.

cheers

chonox

Likes Dirt
are you a large?

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/showthread.php?254306-2013-Giant-Reign-1-Large-2400-xx-36-s-as-new

then just add this: http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-Contact-Hydraulic-Dropper-Post-Remore-Switch

but yeah New one will come with dropper post and theres always that warranty thing...

$2500 can buy you a nice 2nd hand bike but warranty goes out the window and theres always the risk of internal stress fractures/screwed bearings blah blah blah, up to you.

At that price point theres a few options, go out and throw a leg over a few and see what you like. Should be a few bikes shops trying to clear awesome 2012 or even 2011 floor stock at great prices with a bit of wiggle room for haggling. Also demo bikes are something to consider e.g.: http://www.neezy.com.au/shop_exdemo.htm

Last edited:

cheif_m

Likes Dirt
What do people recon of Polygon as a brand, any good?
in comparison to other brands like giant specialized ect how do they match up?

applejak26

Likes Bikes
Avanti Torrent? I quite enjoy mine (Avanti Torrent 3 2011) and most people seem to give them a good rap round here

According to bike exchange there's a shop in collingwood trying to clear the Avanti Torrent 3 from 2011 for $2500 in large + XL which is a pretty good deal considering the spec (lots of Easton haven, 2 x 10 X9 + X0 drivetrain, fox RP23 + fox float RLC fork). More importantly though it's a fun ride

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What do people recon of Polygon as a brand, any good?
in comparison to other brands like giant specialized ect how do they match up?
Made in the same factories as Giant and Specialized (frame), Taiwanese bike makers that basically said fuck it and made their own frames from the experience they got from making other brand's frames.
They all look really well specced for the money but I can't comment on how well they're made. Probably pretty similar to Giant and that sort of thing.

Even if you manage to break it, you've still got a pretty expensive groupset for a damned good price ;)

i think it depends on what sort of riding you are doing, how much travel you really want and do you want new or used?

ive got a Scott Genius LT 30 and absolutley love the thing.
it is a very solid bike with 185mm of travel and the equaliser shock allows for you to change to 115mm and 0mm travel on the fly which i fine really usefull specially on more xc tracks and climbs ect when im not in all mountain mode

the bike climbs really well for its weight and in fact for me it climbs better then my wifes trek fuel ex8 but most importantly it just bombs down everything i can throw at it and asks for more.

you can pick up a brand new 2011 version on biek exchange (normally about 5 grand) for the money you are talking about and they will want to get rid of them so would deal most likely.

its not a bike for everyone but i love the thing and worth a look

crowash

Likes Dirt
I think you should buy the bike I have because it justifies my decision to buy one.

Sorry to be a smart arse but its a very open question and you aren't really going to get any useful information. If you ask enough people on here you'll probably get a breakdown of the proportion of people that own each brand and in that case you'll end up buying a Giant and having a look at Specialized. Chances are there will be 25 other brands that would have been just as perfect for you but you'll be on here in 6 months telling everyone who asks to buy a Giant as well.

The most useful answer is ride as many bikes as you can, I probably would have ended up with a Giant Reign if the shop had any to demo. They didn't so I walked out and ended up buying a bike I had ridden and loved.

Xavo.au

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Aren't Polygons Indonesian??
They very well might be. For some reason I can't get Taiwan out of me head though.

Either way, the components on them are really pretty good spec for the coin. Remember that DH rig that had all the big stuff, Fox 40, Saint, Deemax etc for pretty much cost price if you were to buy the parts separately.

Rabble bukes

Likes Dirt
I have a polygon, has been a great bike. Frame is probably a little on heavy side, well made though, as good as a giant.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
A buddy literally bought just a few hours ago a Trek Remedy 8 2012 new for well less than that.... I think it's a great all mountain bike for the price