Bike Show MTNX - IMPORTANT - LATEST INFO

dilemma

girl+bike
Not sure if you've seen the article here

So to give you all a heads up on what's going on,

1. The MTNX course at Sydney Olympic Park is currently under construction
2. Round 1 of the National MTNX Series is being held on this course on Friday 21 October 2005
3. Entries are open and entry forms can be found here
4. Nathan Rennie has confirmed that he will be racing, and other riders who have expressed their intentions of being there are Luke Strom, Bryn Atkinson, Ricky Boyer, Sam Hill, Justin Havukainen, Simon Anderson, Adam Smithson, Luke Madill, Emma McNaughton, Cameron Palmer, Dennis Bare & Adam Nicholson
5. Spectator entry is FREE so if you're not up to racing, you can come and check out Australia's best rip it up
6. The Bicycling Australia Show is being held that weekend... get there to check out all the latest shiny stuff as well as MTB & unicycle trials and freestyle BMX ramp demos.

Any more info needed go here or post questions in this thread or PM me :)

MTNX Course plans:

Attachments

Last edited:

dilemma

girl+bike
Here is the course the other day after construction had started. As you can see just some dirt and bulldozers. But it's coming along nicely, check it out for yourself if you're going past Sydney Olympic Park sometime.

Edit: Just thought I'd mention that SOPA (Syd Olympic Park) have awesomely contributed [Edit: lots of $$] to the construction of this course...

Attachments

Last edited:

ona rampage

Likes Dirt
Fantastic Links Dilemma; thanks for that.
I highly recommend the MTNX2 pdf file; the whole course in a lot of detail.

Can't wait....

Hey, is it really a $50 entry fee to race on the day??? :eek:

dilemma

girl+bike
ona rampage said:
Hey, is it really a $50 entry fee to race on the day??? :eek:
Yep, $50 schmackers... entry fee was set by the race promoter as far as I know. Having said that it's going to be a premium event to race in, put it this way: the bike show Trade Party is being held that night in a marquee next to the race course, meaning that loads of industry people (ie potential sponsors) will be there watching, so if you are keen to impress then that's a bloody good time to do it!

The good thing is that this course is a permanent facility for MTNX in Sydney.

:)

Cameo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Awesome! Argh God if only it was in Melbourne! Ah well, there's always next year.

Looks like it'll be a killer day!

Cam.

Rik

logged out
So... I went for a cruise out there today, to see what's happening.
And I am excited to inform you all of the progress of the track. But what's even more exciting is the fact that it's going to introduce a new format to MTB racing in Australia.
It'll be known as 4-Xtreme!

4 riders, on one course, in a catch-the-flag race

They'll negotiate big mounds of dirt to be the first to get the bunting and return it to the start gate

Not only will they be competing with other riders, because this is Xtreme, there'll be greater obstacles to overcome... such as laser rays of death!

And there'll also be archers from the local archery range to add some excitement as well

The dead will be left for the crows to pick at

The winners will be allowed to play with the big toys

And finally, there's a great big carpark next to the track for all the Xtreme riders to do burnouts in when they leave

Oh, and something else that's incredibly cool near the olympic site... the old brickpit is having an elevated walkway installed in it. Which means easier access for any huckwits to scope lines down the Rampage-style terrain.

bazza

look at me
that wasnt funny....................

oh wait yes it was. bahhaahahahaha. ok so maybe not that funny.

i wanna play catch the flag but mum says its too xtreme and i might get an xtreme injury.

cheese

Likes Dirt
Haha you're a tool Rik.I hope you had your safety hat on when you took those pictures, or are you to Xtreme for that? OMGZ WeAR A SaFetY HaT!!!1!

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
^^^^ Rik ^^^^^^
Absolute gold, there should be more of this sort of creative touch every Monday!

dilemma

girl+bike
Just to compliment Rik's pics of the site...

Here are some more, taken on Tuesday 13/9/05. Big piles of dirt, big machines...

#1 Compactor at work
A compactor carries out its work on the Sydney Olympic Park mountain cross course.

#2 Plan check
Stuart Plant (President, Western Sydney Mountain Bike Club), John Fergusson (SOPA) and Gary Hunt (Assistant Show Director, Bicycling Australia) discuss the progress of the course construction.

#3 Project Manager
The project manager gives instruction to workers.

#4 Site Inspection
Mike Doyle (SOPA), Glenn Bird (PSB), Stuart Plant (WSMBC), Gary Hunt (Bicycling Australia) and John Fergusson (SOPA) inspecting the progress of the mountain cross course.

#5 Telstra Stadium in view of site
Earthmovers hard at work on the site, which is located within view of Telstra Stadium.

#6 Unloading dirt
Dirt is unloaded onto the site. The dirt in being brought by convoy from six different building sites and is of optimum quality to be shaped into an ultimate track.

Attachments

tnankie

Likes Dirt
I hope that tool Stu isn't having too much to do with it. Count me as a definate for the trade show/race though, should be tops.

Horrible thought, is that dickhead having anything to do with the show? is he comentating the race or anything like that? I'd really like to go to an event that doesn't have him there.

I know, I know, a lot of anger against someone who does a lot for mtb in Oz, cut him some slack etc etc...I'd like to like him...but I can't. He is an Fwit.

wsmtbdhvp

NSWMTB, Western Sydney MTB
Sopmmx

A lot of this discussion has taken place in 4X but here goes.

Stu has been engaged by Bycling Australia to get the event going, Robbie will be running the event using the normal Black Mountain style and Robbie will be on the mike! Stu is going to make this place look pretty special, from what has been discussed it should look as good as the worlds.

Brett the designer is having a few problems with what is being built, as you deal with large organisations you find architects', landscapers' and particularily engineers', that do not ride, and know how to design everything. As we all know the camel was a horse designed by a committee so the best will be done allowing for the drawings, Work Cover, OH&S, public liability, etc, etc.

Already someone dumped asbestos on the site which cost >$50,000 to remove so all this eats into the budget as will the track changes.