Bike security in apartment

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Hi all,

Im looking for a smart way to secure my bike in the apartment store room.. Now I now this isn't ideal but I have to deal with it.. I live in a small apartment and the bike currently in the living room.. even I am a little over it.. taking it in and out etc and having to make sure it is super clean and dry after a ride!

There is a store room that will fit the bike on the ground and it has a somewhat solid door, it is like a big cupboard in a sense that the bike cannot be seen but I'm looking for a way to secure the bike a little more just on the off chance that somebody does have a go at breaking in!

I have seen this type of thing.. but the landlord doesn't want me to fix into the ground permanently so is a no go.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/oxford-brute-force-ground-wall-anchor-lock/rp-prod8495

What I am thinking about is making some sort of concrete block, about the size of a bucket perhaps and placing something like this in before it sets.. I just want it to be heavy enough that it makes it tricky to get out of without a fight.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/oxford-terra-force-heavy-duty-ground-anchor/rp-prod8496

Once I have the base sorted I would be on the look out for a strong padlock and chain etc but that is the easy part!

Has anybody done something similar? Does anybody see any obvious issues that I am missing here? I know this isn't ideal but better than nothing?

Cheers,

Nick

Wellsey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You got insurance? As long as it's locked away securely and especially if it's not visible from outside, you shouldn't have any issues with coverage.

Having said that, your concrete ball and chain isn't a bad idea.

teK--

Eats Squid
Apartments are hard to secure good bikes in unless you have it inside the apartment.

In saying that, before I got everything in our new house (security) setup the way I wanted, I chained my bike to a 16kg kettlebell which would have made it tricky to get out of the house. $90 should get you a 20kg kettlebell, which is more versatile than the oxford lock since you have to muck around with concrete etc.

Use a hardened steel chain with thick square cross-section links (8-10mm thick) and an armored padlock which has shackle guard and double latches. All up you will prob end up spending $250 on all this stuff.

MudRhino

Likes Dirt
Regarding the landlord, did you mention to him / her / it that you would leave the anchor behind when you depart, and that it would add value to the property?

Most landlord are afraid you will instal, and then remove items leaving destruction behind - but they tend to be more willing if you leave things behind that add value (like air conditioners).

bell.cameron

Likes Dirt
Piss the chain off and head to bunnings and buy an 'uncuttable' steel cable for about $50. And just attach it to anything sturdy and big enough to not fit through your frame? I have 2 tamper-proof dynabolts with little eyes on them boolted into the concrete floor at my place, but i guess that's off the cards if the landlord wont permit.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I got my bike stolen in similar circumstances. I would go for the huge concrete idea. Security guards at my complex reckon it's organised crime (not opportunistic). Generally they chuck the bike in a car to avoid detection at the main entry cctv.

Alternatively you could go for the awkward geometry approach. Attach it to a stupidly long pole theatre has an eyelet. Sure it won't be as heavy but it's different and most thieves wouldn't know how to transport a bike with an awkwardly long pole. It also means they can't shove it in a car easily.

D_Nine

Hhhmmm if the cable is "uncuttable" how do I get a length !!?? Would suggest getting a piece of heavy wall pipe the same length as the store room.Have the local panel shop weld a couple off bits of chain to it.Use 2 locks to join onto this.If it's too hard or takes too long they will find an easier target. Pipe would probably be too long to fit in the car aswell !!

camzh

Likes Dirt
If it's too hard or takes too long they will find an easier target.
+1

At the end of the day if someone wants to steal your bike they will, and there is nothing you can do to stop it.
But you can deter those who are opportunistic