BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
I ordered the four bike version, which according to the email I received should arrive either this week or next week.. As soon as I get it, i'll fit it up and let you know if I encounter anything similar.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Loosen off the bolt, wind out the knob as far as it goes. The outer cone should finish flush with the silver part inside the cone. Wind down the knob firmish (not too tight or it'll be a bitch to undo), and then crank up the locking bolt on the side.

The hitch only fits on the ball and is not ment to sit down on the tounge.

MTBm8

Likes Bikes
I have 4 channel

Hi,

I have the 4 channel rack but its the same tow ball connection. Mine does not sit flush with the plate either but floats above it on the ball with the tongue in the grove as yours is, I would have to check if it sat any lower than that. As long as the nut on the side of the towball mount is tight as anything and doesnt swing side to side, she'll be right.

styler

Likes Dirt
Hi Guys,

I was wondering if anyone has pruchased the car bike rack (Click HERE.

I had purchased thisunit a while ago, when it was on sale. But never used it since my friend had a ute for transport. Now that he doesn't, I decided to pull it out the other day only to find that the ball mount, does not sit flush with the plate it comes with. Which means that the entire contraption is only fixed and resting on the to ball. This makes it very unstable.

Item is now out of warranty, doubt I will be able to return it. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues. Attached a photo of connection for reference. View attachment 307863

Cheers in advance...
I have the four bike version and it looks to me you need to loose the mounting plate under the ball to locate it better with the rack (to keep it level as well as line up the locating plate). It also doesn't appear that you have the rack tight enough as it looks that the ball mount is not pulled in quite enough, I find wiggling the rack whilst tightening the knob then locking the bolt with a spanner. Once the ball mount knob is as tight as you can do by hand they don't move. As it's sitting it looks nearly right.

Last edited:

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
Yeah I think I'm the same as what the others have said.

Ensure that before you put it on you totally wind out the knob before attaching it.

Then I find the best way to put it on is to lift the rack with my left hand and 'lean' my right hand down on the knob (Eg the force of gravity should push the knob into your right hand).

Then slide the knob over the ball mount, ensuring the flappy metal bits go fully over the ball mount.

Then tighten it all up.

I dont believe it sits flush, but will try get a picture for you tonight.

Zoobz

Likes Dirt
Loosen off the bolt, wind out the knob as far as it goes. The outer cone should finish flush with the silver part inside the cone. Wind down the knob firmish (not too tight or it'll be a bitch to undo), and then crank up the locking bolt on the side.

The hitch only fits on the ball and is not ment to sit down on the tounge.
The bolt to secure the tow ball is fully loosened, I even took it out. I cannot get the outer cone closer to the plate, no matter what I do to the top knob. I have even removed the scre that stop the tow ball collet from falling out.

I'll have another look when I get home. Maybe I stupidly doing something wrong...

Zoobz

Likes Dirt
Yeah I think I'm the same as what the others have said.

Ensure that before you put it on you totally wind out the knob before attaching it.

Then I find the best way to put it on is to lift the rack with my left hand and 'lean' my right hand down on the knob (Eg the force of gravity should push the knob into your right hand).

Then slide the knob over the ball mount, ensuring the flappy metal bits go fully over the ball mount.

Then tighten it all up.

I dont believe it sits flush, but will try get a picture for you tonight.
two hands, knobs, flappy bits, ball mount, I'm not sure we are taking about the same thing. HAHA :heh:

Photo would help though. Cheers

speedyjonzalas

Likes Dirt
:dance:

Yeah I was questioning my own wording while writing it.

Didnt manage to get a photo but should be able to get one by the weekend for you.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
So with that in mind, I'm looking for a towbar mounted rack with a channel system designed for 1 bike, that can be removed quickly and easily.
I'll buy into this discussion Cameron.

It's ironic that you used the term idiot proof in the thread name Cameron because you've pretty much described the ISI carrier. Not only does it tick each of the requirements sought, this carrier is tougher and stronger than anything here. The most convenient and quickest to deploy a bike, easiest to remove/install on the car and by far the safest for the bicycle. Bonus is that to get into the back of the car it's pull a pin, flip a lever and lower the carrier.

There's a comprehensive product review in the current edition of Mountain Bike Australia Magazine. John Hardwick has been giving the carrier a hiding for quite some time now.

The magazine article does a good job of describing some of the inherent design features of this bicycle carrier. It just comes together to deliver a travel solution that is not only superior to other bicycle carriers out there, but the first carrier to earn John Hardwick's trust - and he has tested all of them.

It's a big call to actually earn trust and deliver peace of mind.

You won't find a single ounce of Chinese steel here either.

botch

Likes Bikes
Can you weld? And do you have a welder?

I made a rack specific for my bike which was originally made to be bolted the towbar tongue with the ball. My current car has a 50mm hitch mount, so i modified it to suit that.

Takes about 30 seconds to get it from the shed to my car and mounted, then about a minute to get my bike out and onto the rack.

I'll try and find a pic if you want to see it

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Can you weld? And do you have a welder?

I made a rack specific for my bike which was originally made to be bolted the towbar tongue with the ball. My current car has a 50mm hitch mount, so i modified it to suit that.

Takes about 30 seconds to get it from the shed to my car and mounted, then about a minute to get my bike out and onto the rack.

I'll try and find a pic if you want to see it
User name botch + home made rack = this will end well :thumb:

botch

Likes Bikes
Haha...been going strong for about 2 1/2 years already! :rockon:

Here's a pic i found....may aswell chuck it up

FB_IMG_1423908553053.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Mine is the same as his no wobbles as it tightens down on the ball pretty hard
+1, I have one and it stays put and doesn't swing around. The OP needs to loosen the knob more until it fits over the tow ball.
They are a great rack for the $$$.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got one too. I don't take much notice of how the thing looks when mounted but haven't had any dramas. I usually lift the back of the rack a bit for the last couple of turns to tighten it on, seems to help.

WarbyD

Likes Dirt
Better late than never.

Looks mine sits similar to the one pictured, except mine is possibly laying flatter?

Got mine and used it over the weekend.. this is exactly how it sits. Given the way it mounts, I really don't see how it could possibly sit flush with the plate below unless you're doing something wrong :p