BIKE RACKS AND CARRIERS FOR CARS MEGATHREAD - all questions asked and answered here

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
How does one go about securing a vertical rack to a car? Bike security I suppose a cable though the bikes frame and front wheel cage- whilst not ideal- would be enough to make a casual thief walk on by but the rack itself is a decent investment and with being in central Sydney I can see an issue arising of some dirtbag thinking he needs it more than me.

Last edited:

bmar560

Likes Dirt
How does one go about securing a vertical rack to a car? Bike security I suppose a cable though the bikes frame and front wheel cage- whilst not ideal- would be enough to make a casual thief to walk on by but the rack itself is a decent investment itself and with being in central Sydney I can see an issue arising of some dirtbag thinking he needs it more than me.
https://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/hitch-pin-locks
which is not very secure really but it's better than nothing.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
How does one go about securing a vertical rack to a car? Bike security I suppose a cable though the bikes frame and front wheel cage- whilst not ideal- would be enough to make a casual thief to walk on by but the rack itself is a decent investment itself and with being in central Sydney I can see an issue arising of some dirtbag thinking he needs it more than me.
You can fit a padlock to the pin that secures the rack into the square hitch receiver to prevent the rack itself being stolen.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
https://www.haymanreese.com.au/products/hitch-pin-locks
which is not very secure really but it's better than nothing.
I've always been of the opinion that if they really want it they'll find a way to get it, so any thing I actually do will only stop the opportunistic dickheads.

Also beware, my GM hitch pin is ⅝" but the Single Trail pin is only ½". Messaged Single Trail about opening the hole a bit, but Mitch (I assume) said he found his on ebay.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
If I leave the rack for a while in town I have a cable and lock to go thru the wheels. If some bugger can get the rack off the hitch with bikes attached then good on em I guess (OK I'd be gutted)

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
If I leave the rack for a while in town I have a cable and lock to go thru the wheels. If some bugger can get the rack off the hitch with bikes attached then good on em I guess (OK I'd be gutted)
I dont think there is much you can do against a cordless angle grinder... Just make sure the bikes are insured and try not to leave them unattended.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
I dont think there is much you can do against a cordless angle grinder... Just make sure the bikes are insured and try not to leave them unattended.
I had a hitch pin that I lost the key for, and even with an angle grinder it was a POS to get off. Might actually have been faster to grind the end off the hitch receiver! (But being my towbar, I wanted to keep it intact.

Haakon

I had a hitch pin that I lost the key for, and even with an angle grinder it was a POS to get off. Might actually have been faster to grind the end off the hitch receiver! (But being my towbar, I wanted to keep it intact.
I was thinking you'd just cut the rack itself - would be matter of a minute tops to cut the upright part of the rack and throw the whole lot with bikes attached into a ute and drive off...

Haakon

I throw a bike lock loop around the bike if I really have to leave it out on the street, but thats mostly so I can tell the cops and insurance company with a straight face that it was locked to ease the claim process...

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
just got my rack. I think I need to ride less and go to the gym more just to take it off and put it on the car. Awesome bit of kit !
Drop the rack right back to the horizontal position, its way easier for 1 person to handle on/off the car than trying to get the 50mm hitch lined up with the rack upright.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
How does one go about securing a vertical rack to a car? Bike security I suppose a cable though the bikes frame and front wheel cage- whilst not ideal- would be enough to make a casual thief walk on by but the rack itself is a decent investment and with being in central Sydney I can see an issue arising of some dirtbag thinking he needs it more than me.
In all honesty it’s two bolts for most verticals to take off the draw bar then the thief would just need to make up a new draw bar… in saying that, as it has been a popular request our racks supplied out of the factory from now come with a lockable hitch bolt. Every manufacturer has a different hitch setup though so it’s not exactly a universal solution.

Sheepie

Likes Bikes
Hey brains trust,
Chasing a bike rack to hire in the Canberra area. Want to hire a shingle back style rack for 5 bikes, the in laws are taking the kids on holiday and they want to take their bikes. Any advice, recommendations, etc? Cheers
What’s the timeframe until they need it?

nzhumpy

Googlemeister who likes bikes and scandal
I think @nzhumpy is asking about how secure the rack itself is without bikes on it if left unattended for a while.
Correct, as I mentioned earlier, and @Cardy George pointed out a bit of cable will deter most opportunist tea-leaves and is probably better than the cable currently on Yakima racks or those flimsy jaw clamps on Thule (although it'll need to be a bloody long cable to go through 5 frames and at least 1 wheel hoop). The issue is when travelling to say Thredbo or Vic mtns and leaving the unit on the car, bikes usually come into the accommodation but I'll be buggered if I'm going to lug 27 or even 40kgs of awkward steel about the place, although I imagine you would have to be desperately unlucky for it to get flogged at one of those spots.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The Singletrail Rack anti wobble system will have most thieves stumped unless they know what is going on.

The V1 and V2 had a cover over the workings, V3 doesn't... still if you dont know whats going on, that rack isn't coming out of the hitch EVER. Could unbolt the main frame from the hitch though.

It absolutely crosses my mind when parking somewhere remote(ish) and heading out for a ride.

A couple of thousand bucks hanging there.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
although it'll need to be a bloody long cable to go through 5 frames and at least 1 wheel hoop
Bunnings is your friend. 4 bikes thru front wheels and frames with probably enough to spare for another bike.

DougalStrachan

Likes Dirt
Drop the rack right back to the horizontal position, its way easier for 1 person to handle on/off the car than trying to get the 50mm hitch lined up with the rack upright.
I hadn't thought to try that - will give it a shot

Bunnings is your friend. 4 bikes thru front wheel
Thats the exact one I have and a combo lock (so kids don't forget / loose keys)