bike maintinence and servicing intervals

eddylong

Likes Dirt
just about to purchase a giant dh0 and am wondering what the cost of maintaining it will be such as the cost of each basic service? and how often?

bretto_v10

Likes Bikes
bike maintaining

Hey man,

All I can say is learn to do it yourself. I use to take my DH bikes to the bike shop for like 5 years getting fork rebuilds, gears adjusted, BB's replaced etc etc etc. If you have a bit of mechanical know how or you are interested in mechanics then take the plung. There is lots of information out there on how to do the various mechanics on your bike and if not these types of website forums are great too. I build my own bikes up now from scratch when I buy a new one everynow and then and maintain them myself. Obviously there is the issue that sometimes you need special tools which can cost a little, but sometimes worth buying if you plan on keeping those components and bike for a while. Also you get a much better quality of service because you spend the time in getting it absolutely spot on. I would give my bikes a basic service after about 50 hours of riding depending on how much punishment you give it and major after about 100.

Anyway enjoy riding your new rig :)

Last edited:

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
+1 for do it yourself.

The local bike shop will suggest to the 'average' rider that every 6 months is a good idea to drop it in for a big one, and they'll charge upwards of $100 for that. For that, you could also go out and get most of the tools you'd need to do it yourself.

There is plenty of reference material out there if you need assistance (Zinn and the art of mountain bike maintenance, or for online, try utahmountainbiking.com), and I think it is the most rewarding way to go.

Another point in favour of doing it yourself is that as was mentioned before, it can often turn out that you'll do a better job yourself, because you are more invested in it. In an extreme case, I have dropped a bike off for a service in the past and specifically asked that the gears be attended to and the buckled wheel fixed. Got the bike back $100 later, gears still buggered and the wheel still buckled. Coincidentally, this was the last service I ever got someone else to do.

Best of luck with the new bike!

jp4294

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recommend the main tools that will be required and where to get them at decent prices?
Thanks

s_govers01

Likes Dirt
Can anyone recommend the main tools that will be required and where to get them at decent prices?
Thanks
just buy a tool kit off torpedo7 or velogear or somewhere like that.
http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/SBTOKNN98/title/SUPER-B-Bike-Tool-Box---98600

tyre levers
allen keys
chain breaker
spoke key

then there are tools for:
bb
pedals
headset
etc.

IMO just buy something that covers the essentials and then just buy special tools when the need for them pops up.

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
Alternatively, you can get most tools from places like Anaconda, or your local bike shop. As was said before, your gonna need the basics which you can get from a hardware store like screwdrivers, allen keys and pliers, then, for bike specific the ones I use more are BB tool, chain whip and sprocket tool. Best way to go though is buy as you need. You could also get a bike multi-tool, not especially cheap, but you can take them with you on a ride and has all the basics like single screw driver, chain breaker, tire lever, allen keys, etc. Can be really useful if you run into trouble on the trail.

bloodzy

Squid
Half and Half for me

I do most jobs on my bikes but take it to FTR for any major work. Just spent around $600 on some new pads, tryes, grips and and absolute overhaul on my DH rig, $320 of which was the service bill, quite happy to pay it, for a 4yo DH bike its now riding like the day I bought it again. very impressed with the workmanship

Hadn't had it serviced in over two years and the shock/forks haven't been touched since 06, one of the bushings was near paper thing haha

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Keeping your bike clean is the best thing you can do for it, as when cleaning you can also inspect components and judge their condition.
Drivetrain wear is a big issue, and if you neglect suspension servicing it'll cost you in the long run - it's a false economy to say "she'll be right".
If you're willing to invest in the high end of the bike market, ensure you back that up with care and maintenance. The amount of times I've heard people say "but I spent $x thousand on it, I shouldn't have to service it so much" bewilders me.