Bike comparison

Guy From Nowhere

Likes Bikes
G'day All,

As a member of the TMBC I thought I would get your advice concerning the choice in DH bikes I have. The price is the same ($1500) for each, but bike (1) is a 2007 Specialized Demo 7i with 2008 Boxxer world cup shocks; and bike (2) is an Iron Horse Sunday Team of 2009 vintage. I am happy with the specs of both bikes, but am unsure which of them is better for a bloke starting out. I'm relatively gutsy, so I don't won't to have to purchase a new bike next month, but I'm also learning and fall off a lot, so I don't want a new bike that I will destroy.

Obviously, it comes down to personal choice, but those of you with experience, I would love to hear your opinions.

Cheers,
GFN

diggerz

Likes Dirt
Hi mate,

Glad to hear that you're getting into downhill!

My personal choice if I was in your situation would be the Demo. Demo's are more sturdy then ironhorse, and are built to take a beating (Especially the older ones like the 2007), you would be able to thrash around the Demo a lot more without worrying about it breaking, and if you're happy with the spec, there's not much stopping you! A demo would serve you well as an entry downhill bike.
EDIT: I'm not hating on either brand, I've never ridden either brand, but I saw a documentary on the construction of demo's and it sure convinced me! Ironhorse will probably be harder to get parts for now that they're no longer in business, but it's all up to personal opinion.

Hope that helped

Andrew.

Last edited:

Guy From Nowhere

Likes Bikes
Cheers Andrew,

I was leaning in the direction of the Demo. To throw a spanner in the works, I have now been offered a 2011 Scott Gambler 30 for the same price. Too much choice is doing my head in! :D

GFN

MrPlow

TMBC
Having ridden and owned both, . I would Say Sunday. There is a reason ppl are still riding these. They work very well. Better than any FSR.
And I have not heard of any real known durability issues.