Bike Buller 2013 Brake Burner limited to 100 'non premium' riders WTF?

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Just hopped on line to book my Brake Burner spot and noticed that they are limiting the number of racers to 100 for those who are not doing the whole premium (i.e. entering every event) entry thing...Why? Anyone know? Personally ive got no interest in a 50km and 25km lycra fest but love the idea of the brake burner (did it last year). Im sure im not the only one too.

Is there some kind of logistical nightmare to having lots of riders only race one race out of the three? Are the other races lacking in participants? or is it a simple cash grab forcing those who miss out to pay double just to race the Brake Burner?

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Obviously you haven't experienced the chair lift traffic jams of years gone by?

They limited last year to 250 riders? (Approx) total no matter if it were the full event or not, which was disappointing for those doing the whole event and missing out because the DH boys took the BB spots first up

Bike Buller is more than just one race - the whole event is an acheivement

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Obviously you haven't experienced the chair lift traffic jams of years gone by?

They limited last year to 250 riders? (Approx) total no matter if it were the full event or not, which was disappointing for those doing the whole event and missing out because the DH boys took the BB spots first up

Bike Buller is more than just one race - the whole event is an acheivement
Thats a pretty good reason to limit numbers. Cheers for shedding the light. I remeber lift queues last year but it wasnt so bad - plus i needed the rest. Was a bit annoying that the DH guys not there for the race got to jump the queue but i guess they had paid for lift tickets too. Maybe they should close the DH trails on that day to free up some space....
Anyway looking forward to it this year.

toofar22

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Am riding he buller brake burner event this weekend for the first time. Actually, first time to buller.

Would those that have competed in previous years events recommend a full face helmet? What about a neck brace and pads?

Or am I being overly cautious thinking down this line......

No flames please, I have the gear just haven't seen the track so can't really make a call. I'm only on AM duallie, so it's not like I'll be smashing odnw the hillz on a mad down hiller. :p

Last edited:

Boxer

Likes Dirt
No its not that extreme, in fact there is quite a bit of XC riding on flats and inclines during the Brake Burner event. The downhill, Copperhead is flowing and fun. I wore a Met Parachute with the chin guard, but certainly no need for a full face. The rest is up to you, I dont think I saw anyone in a neck brace though.

there are no gap jumps or anything like that

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Copperhead is designed to be ridden on anything, so you don't *need* all the gear. I was up there for the trail opening a bit over a year ago, and did runs on both a supplied DH bike and my own XC bike. I was actually quicker on the XC bike, but a lot can be attributed to familiarity with it.

floody

Wheel size expert
Its just a stage in what is an XC race, thats why non-premium entries are limited. Enter the Alpine Gravity Elevation Series if you want to go all-mountain racing.

Hugor

Likes Dirt
Any idea what kind of elevation gain is achieved in the 50kms "lycra fest"?

In contrast to the OP I have no desire to hide behind 8 inches of travel and 3 inches of body armor just to roll down a fire road.