Bike advice

rstim

Likes Dirt
Hey all I'm looking at purchasing my first dualy after riding a cheap merida 29er for the last few years. I'm lucky enough to live 40mins drive from all the new trails in derby and the mtb bug has bitten hard. After some advice on a fun bike to let me enjoy riding even more have a budget of 3.5k hopefully that is enough to get me something decent. It's hard to get test rides especially in my size as I'm 6'5 so will need something big.
Any help/advice appreciated.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
are you wanting a custom build or to buy off the shelf? cros country riding? if off the shelf im a fan of trek gear, maybe a fuel -at your height though youll provbably need a fit to make sure th frames aren't too small for

rstim

Likes Dirt
Looking at off the shelf or second hand, don't really have any idea on building a bike or have a parts stash to do it with. Don't want a full xc bike more trail orientated I think.

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Hey all I'm looking at purchasing my first dualy after riding a cheap merida 29er for the last few years. I'm lucky enough to live 40mins drive from all the new trails in derby and the mtb bug has bitten hard. After some advice on a fun bike to let me enjoy riding even more have a budget of 3.5k hopefully that is enough to get me something decent. It's hard to get test rides especially in my size as I'm 6'5 so will need something big.
Any help/advice appreciated.
Im your size and it is vital to get something that fits you. Look for a longer reach and effective top tube so you can use a shorter stem, wider bars and inline dropper. Unfortunately $3.5 will get you an entry level full suspension from the likes of Trek and Specialized. Both of them make XXL frames in some models but not sure whats available. Fuel EX8 or Camber Comp will fit the bill. $4 grand will get you a whole lot more options. I know they are doing deals on Stumpjumpers and Enduros for around that. You would fit on an XL Camber 2016 but might need an XXL Stumpy.

Rockymountain, Transition, Kona, Mondraker and Canyon all make XLs with great reach and ETT measurements. Why dont you checkout Canyon Spectral (130mm 29er FS) or their 110mm 29er called a ?????- that would be my pick- best spec for the $$$$

Otherwise look for secondhand. There is a Trek Superfly XXL on Gumtree or Bicycle exchange for $2.5- it will be more XC than trail (which can work). Other than that there is not much around. I ride an XXL carbon hardtail with dropper post, beefie forks and wheelset as my one bike for everything. If you can handle a HT then you will get a far bit more for your money. For true comfort and fun a short travel FS would be the ticket

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
You won't need a large travel bike to tackle the trails at Derby, as they are pretty smooth and flowy numbers without any seriously hectic terrain. I've ridden them on a 100mm travel Superfly FS, and it handled everything there with ease. Like Big JD I'd also recommend starting your full-sus experience with a short travel dually as they are quite a different ride experience to a hard tail. Being a Tassie rider as well, the advantage of a short travel dually is they are much more at home climbing, and we have a shed load of that down here!

rstim

Likes Dirt
I was thinking a camber or fuel ex might be a good option and specialized are having a ride day at derby in March so I may have to wait and ride some demo bikes that will actually be in my size. I know I don't need heaps of travel for derby but the blue tier is opening soon and Juggernaut is close also and that wasn't much fun on my hardtail a bit more travel would be good there. Thought a norco sight might be a good option also but would be harder to ride up the hills.

You don't have to buy 2nd Hand if you can get an unsold superseded model from 2-3 years back. Main thing you need is a price point on the frame fabrication material (Alumin or Ti or Carbon) to the optimal component upgrades. You could probably order a Carbon wheelset build from ICAN under $700 (in 3k matt finish, 32 spoke hole, Hope hubs) a size XL/22" fs 29er Carbon frame from Yoleo (3k glossy weave finish) 710mm Carbon flat bar from ..'china', 10mm bottom stack Carbon cone headset spacer, 90/110mm Carbon bar stem, 27.2mm Carbon seatpost, as new 2nd Hand 2013-2015 29er ctd front forks in your favorite brand Fox/Rockshox/Marzocchi/Swiss around $300-$400 on ebay. A 'Rockguardz' Carbon front mudguard (medium) around $100 is about the best upmarket front end bling addon. Hope tech x2 hydraulic disc brakes with saw rotors, braided hoses, color themed master cylinder cover plates.. erm okay hold off getting those yet (pricey). Most of the pleasure in getting a bike is in speccing to your personal preference. Let that guide your wallet.

GazzaPops

Likes Bikes
A mate picked up a Merida 120 with full xt for about your price. I can't remember if it was this year's or last but that could be another option. A Giant Anthem SX could be an option if it is big enough in XL.
I suspect Trek and Specialized would be you best chance of getting an appropriate size.

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Considering your height, budget, local trails and the fact it will be your first dually, I can't think of a more suited bike than a 2016 Trek Fuel EX 8 in 21.5inch frame. Definitely worth the extra dollars over the EX7 as it gets the new Penske tuned suspension, same as the higher end models.

rstim

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the advice I think a 120/130mm travel 29er will suit the riding I do well and think it will be a choice between a fuel ex8, camber comp or a canyon spectral. Anyone got another bike I should be looking at like these?