Big bloke - all mountain bike??

ja_har

Likes Dirt
A colleague at work is looking at getting a new bike as his skills are progressing and the old bike was knicked. Basically he is looking for an all mountain - enduro bike that can be ridden all day but have no fear it will suffer due to his size and 'bull at a gate' riding style. He is a pretty big bloke at 120kg and 6'5" and has a tendency to ride things reasonably hard for a trail rider. Unlikely to be doing any freeride or jumping.

Budget is around $2500 and cannot go to $3000. (he will get killed by the better half). Currently he is looking at a Mongoose Teocali Elite and a Giant Reign 2. This meets the budget and wondering what other options will meet his requirements AND budget.

Main concern is the rear shock as bikes previously ridden often seem to struggle with his size and thus it is a concern to make sure the shock will last. Obviously long term lower maintenance is also an issue, for the bike and the shock.

thoughts are welcome to cut the crap from the truth.

Last edited:

rhyno

Likes Dirt
Just get a coil shock with the right spring rather than an air shock. either find a bike stock with coil shock, or upgrade.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Unless hes riding really rough stuff he won't have a problem with an air shock. Air would probably be a better option than coil, just because it makes it a lot easier to setup the bike.

Fidsey

Likes Dirt
Sales?

Tell your mate to wait for the sale season...... October and MAY.
When the shops want to sell their old stock.
A mate of mine picked up a TREK Liquid 55 ($5200) for $2600 in the city....
He's was a pretty big bloke (not so much now - all he does is ride the bike!)
He'll probably be able to pick up other bikes even cheaper.;)

ja_har

Likes Dirt
Any ideas of which bikes between a Teocali or Reign would be the pick of the bunch?

or other ideas of similar style bikes in the budget?

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Theres another thread from a guy in pretty much the same position http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=61480

If it was my money out of the two I would get the Giant Reign 2. The spec is better and the frame is arguably better as well. I'm approximately the same weight as your mate and I've got a Manitou 3 way in my Morewood http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=60592 and it holds up fine, just make sure you check the SPV presure regularly.

As for other bikes, check out this months AMB, they test a range of 5-6 inch duallies for under $2500.