Bicyclist who built illegal trail gets 10 days in jail

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Yeah, and thing like that aren't too far away here either.

State forest out this way have stated that they would look into prosecuting legal trail builders

dcrofty

Eats Squid
Seems sadly ironic that the county where MTB pretty much originated (Marin) is now known as the most militant anti-trail area in America.

Mind you, Ive seen a few 'trails' in Oz that deserve a bout of community service as well.

Hamer

Likes Dirt
"Authorities said he dug the bike trail into a hillside, hacked down tree limbs and built rock paths through two drainage ditches."

"More pleaded guilty in Marin Superior Court to two misdemeanor counts - willful or negligent destruction or removal of plants and dead wood, and diverting or obstructing the natural flow of a stream."

Thats fair enough i guess, if your going to build trails, DONT hack trees down or F up drains....there are plenty of illegal trails/builders out there, this guy just got unlucky and his 'neglible' actions against trees and the 'natural flow of a stream' are now being accounted for.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
studying forest science at Melbourne uni has told me that there are far worse things that you could do to a hillside than build a trail down it. i think its a tragedy that it is so hard to get permission to build trails, especially in 'state forests'. best off going through the motions though, end's up legal and more fulfilling allowing anyone to ride your trail without secrets. once i get my degree and am out in the state forests i am gonna try hard to get mountain biking more recognised and respected, if we all build good IMBA spec trails taking into account drainage and all that it will be good. look at the trail centres in the UK, cooperation with forestry is the best way to go. best to stick to the state forests and avoid national parks though.

Last edited:

sawtell

The Great White Rooks Hunter
probaly not the place for it... BUT

id would actauly like to spend a week or so in jail.. be an experience.

Cruz

Likes Dirt
Why, because he should know better?

Quite possibly he has been building trails since the late 70's like others on here.

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i wasn't bagging older people at all, i just think it's great that a 54 year old was out building illegal trails! young at heart.

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
I'm sorry, but the guy has priors for building in the state park that earned him a 3 year probation (including a total ban from the Federal Park system). Then he decides that he'll head out and do it again (and by the sounds of it made a complete ecological cluster of his work at the same time) and he expects them to go easy on him?

Twit

Adamski

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah well he is probably a f**kwit...i'm not condoning what he did just saying it's incredible that someone with a bit less tread on their tyres didn't do the responsible thing and get permission.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
So he got fined $20k and 10 days in jail for moving dead wood, putting some rocks on a bit of ground to get over some water and braking some branches of some trees...

and some people on here think he got what he deserved...

(flame away)