BH Lynx 4.8 frame crack?

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last ride on the BH I was getting some really bad creaking from BB, thought it might have been NEXT cranks coming loose (MWI seemed to have issues).
Checked crank arm tension with torque wrench all good- but wait what is that line running around the BB?????

What do you think crack experts???

Attachments

Last edited:

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
Hardly an expert but looks decidedly crack-ish to me. If you want a creaky crankset instead I've got a SRAM Rival crankset with ever loosening crank arm bolts...

T-Rex

Template denier
Is that on top of the BB shell?

If so, my vote is it's a gouge from the chain falling off ie cosmetic.

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is that on top of the BB shell?

If so, my vote is it's a gouge from the chain falling off ie cosmetic.
yes but- bike is 3 rides old (270km) and has never dropped a chain.....

Also if marked from a chain drop or other would it leave such a clean mark with no other scratches?

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wow - if that is a crack, it is in a very chunky BB area. Will be interesting to see your reports on the service from the online sales point and distributor.

Hope all ends well.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Wow - if that is a crack, it is in a very chunky BB area. Will be interesting to see your reports on the service from the online sales point and distributor.

Hope all ends well.
Without knowing the frame, it looks like it could be at a point where the carbon was moulded 'out' to house the bottom bracket shell ... Is it a BB30 with metal shell ?

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Without knowing the frame, it looks like it could be at a point where the carbon was moulded 'out' to house the bottom bracket shell ... Is it a BB30 with metal shell ?
Pretty sure it's a BH Lynx 4.8 29er frame - here's a pic.

Old C

Likes Bikes
Brand new bike, big arsed crack around the bottom bracket (notice the epoxy pulling away from each other rather than a eroded ditch that would occur with a dropped chain) - run screaming back to your dealer, touch nothing, and test their customer service, give them no excuse to put the blame on you.

Minlak

custom titis
I am going with a positive experience from the retailer... They have a pretty good rep... At these frame known to have issues? I'm sure you would have done some research before you bought it just curious.