Best 80mm forks that $100 can buy

danv

Likes Dirt
What: 80mm forks
Price range/Willing to Pay: 0$ to $100
Extra Info:
Looking for 80mm forks for a commuter/ basic trail bike.
Don't need anything special, but must be in decentish nick (not trashed) must have V mounts, lookout would be cool. Anything cheapo, around the $50 mark (rst, suntour etc.) i will definately consider.
1 1/8 steerer.

Last edited:

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got some fairly old RST's which I can get serviced which would suit you. I don't think you'll find lockout on >$100 forks :( I am in Sydney, but if you can't find a local sale i'll sell you mine.

danv

Likes Dirt
Yes i have some forks. I added you to msn.
haven't received that, please PM the details of your forks.

I measured my current axel to crown (from axel centerline to top of crown) at 43.5 cm. So I need the new forks to be this long, and I will probably ask you to measure this before I buy anything :)
Oh, im also after something that even if cheap, itsn't too trashed and doesn't look too trashed (the shinier the better, long story).
These are basically replacement forks for a $600 Giant Rincon. Anyone upgrading their forks on a similar sub $1000, i'm looking at YOU.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Dicky

Punter God
Last I checked, there were a few pairs of oil-damped Marzocchi EXRs getting around.
Coil and dual air versions were both made, 80mm or 100mm travel.
Highly under-rated - mostly because they came on bikes that kids wanted to thrash (older STP2 for example), and they're about the most ridiculously simple way of providing reliable squish.

I picked up an 80mm airsprung set for $50 a while ago, they're quite happy on the front of my singlespeed.

Steer well clear of the silver stanchion / elastomer "damped" (hah!) EXR Comp. You're better off running a rigid fork.

As for the axle-to-crown height, it'll be hard to find anything that short in your price range.
Look for a same length / lower rise stem, or even just flip the one you've got now.
The slacker head angle will give you more control going down stuff :)

Last edited:

danv

Likes Dirt
Last I checked, there were a few pairs of oil-damped Marzocchi EXRs getting around.
Coil and dual air versions were both made, 80mm or 100mm travel.
Highly under-rated - mostly because they came on bikes that kids wanted to thrash (older STP2 for example), and they're about the most ridiculously simple way of providing reliable squish.

I picked up an 80mm airsprung set for $50 a while ago, they're quite happy on the front of my singlespeed.

Steer well clear of the silver stanchion / elastomer "damped" (hah!) EXR Comp. You're better off running a rigid fork.

As for the axle-to-crown height, it'll be hard to find anything that short in your price range.
Look for a same length / lower rise stem, or even just flip the one you've got now.
The slacker head angle will give you more control going down stuff :)
Thank you, good post. the EXRs are exactly what i'm after actually. Someone offered me a 100mm set, only the axel to crown was 49 cm and I think this will through the angle out way too much. Dicky, do you think im gonna get much shorter than that? The old forks were RST 381s, it was a 2001 Giant Rincon.

I guess I should clarify, this is a bike for my mum which i'm fixing up, after I *ahem* busted her old forks in a crash.:eek:
This is also why im fussy about the head angle, I don't think a slack angle will suit her very well at all. And unfortunately the rincon frame is designed for shorter forks.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
I too picked up an immaculate condition set of EXRs not too long ago for $90..like Dicky said, they are very underated. Extremely strong and very simple.

Another option would be a Manitou Black. I run one of these on my current bike and its fantastic! Depending on its configuration, these can be used from anything from XC to more aggressive 4X. The original 'do all' fork.
Keep an eye out on eBay as there is a seller based here in Melbourne who has a whole stack of them and puts them up quite frequently. They are '03 Comps and have rebound, preload and travel (80-100) adjust. The only concern is that in 100mm mode, they are pretty soft and at 80mm, the springs become preloaded...there isnt really an in between...spares are readily available so you could source a harder spring if need be.

My old 2000 model Rock Shox SID had an extremly short axel to crown height...parts and spares are no longer available but they shared the same lowers as the Judy of the similar era...maybe check them out.

Good luck!

Last edited: