Bespoke chain guide

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
Just knocked out this 0 deg chain guide in the shed, screws were donated from work and unfortunately had to buy a slab of black HDPE and the roller. At about 60 bucks this is the most i have ever spent on making one ( with enough HDPE for about 20 more)

Attachments

ChopSticks

Banned
LOVE DIY BRO !!

esp something THIS ghetto :D

Keep up the good work !!! I'll be sure to hit you up if the type 2 mech I ordered isnt enough to keep the chain on !

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
no special machines just a small router and a carbide bit mounted in a drill stand, circles are done with a simple jig made out of a piece of timber with a 6mm pin that you rotate around in a hole on your job. standard chamfer bit for the counter sink and a bit of kerosene for lube, all pretty basic really

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
no special machines just a small router and a carbide bit mounted in a drill stand, circles are done with a simple jig made out of a piece of timber with a 6mm pin that you rotate around in a hole on your job. standard chamfer bit for the counter sink and a bit of kerosene for lube, all pretty basic really
Thats sooooooo ghetto!

i would have thought a mill with a rotary table but you're clearly to ghetto for that!
love the work!

dug8713

Likes Dirt
Choice of lube sounds a bit.. flammable.

Good work on the chainguides. I also had a couple knocked up on the laser cutter at work and used the same rollers. What didn't work for me though was that the guide didn't align very well with the chain line of the frame.

Fitted this bad boy up? Any alignment issues?

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Choice of lube sounds a bit.. flammable.

Good work on the chainguides. I also had a couple knocked up on the laser cutter at work and used the same rollers. What didn't work for me though was that the guide didn't align very well with the chain line of the frame.

Fitted this bad boy up? Any alignment issues?
dp what e-thirteen do and space it off the guide mountd with some accurate washers

dug8713

Likes Dirt
dp what e-thirteen do and space it off the guide mountd with some accurate washers
Yeah unfortunately my problem was it was too far the other way.. i.e. rollers needed to go in towards the frame.

Anyways post pics up of it fitted when you do

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
Yeah unfortunately my problem was it was too far the other way.. i.e. rollers needed to go in towards the frame.

Anyways post pics up of it fitted when you do
i have had that problem before all i did was machine the end down where the roller sits to about 3mm and that fixed the problem. Hang on if you have access to a lazer cutter why not make one out of 2.5mm stainless steel, i have made one for my hard tail because it was bb mounted and you can make adjustments for the chain line with a hammer.

Urban DH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have had that problem before all i did was machine the end down where the roller sits to about 3mm and that fixed the problem. Hang on if you have access to a lazer cutter why not make one out of 2.5mm stainless steel, i have made one for my hard tail because it was bb mounted and you can make adjustments for the chain line with a hammer.
the ghetto has been one upped!!!!

dug8713

Likes Dirt
Haha yeah fine tuning it with a hammer ftw! Yeah I thought with material thicknesses that thin, I'd run into problems with flex unless I put folds in it to stiffen it up. Cut it out of4mm stainless, so that's where my problem is..

brutasauras

Likes Dirt
Haha yeah fine tuning it with a hammer ftw! Yeah I thought with material thicknesses that thin, I'd run into problems with flex unless I put folds in it to stiffen it up. Cut it out of4mm stainless, so that's where my problem is..
2.5mm stainless is stiff enough for a chain guide even without folds, just try and bend a small piece in the lengths of a chain guide and you will see what i mean.You don`t want to make the guide to strong, in the event of a hard hit your frame will be the weak link. Here is some pics of it on the bike and yes i had to machine 2mm off where the roller goes to get the chain right in line.

Attachments