Bell Super 2R with a neck brace

kane1174

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,
Had a bad fall of the bike last Sunday and fractured a vertebrae in my neck as well as concussion, so off the bike for a few months for it to heal up and realise how lucky I was. So I need a new helmet and going to be a bit worried riding for a bit so thinking of wearing a neck brace for awhile but want a helmet I can still use when I get my confidence back. So anyone tried a Bell Super 2R with a neck brace for trail/enduro riding, does it work, is it comfortable enough...?
Cheers...

adrian.gab

Likes Dirt
I read an article not that long ago that said the key factor in avoiding spinal injury is to prevent compression of your spine, that is where the impact and force comes straight from the top, down in the direction of your spine. I think the article said all that was needed was 15mm of compression to cause damage. Bending your neck in any direction was far less likely to cause an issue. The point the article made was unless your helmet sits on your neck brace, it is unlikely to offer the correct protection in terms of preventing spinal compression, which was the key cause of spinal damage.

treble

Likes Dirt
I read an article not that long ago that said the key factor in avoiding spinal injury is to prevent compression of your spine, that is where the impact and force comes straight from the top, down in the direction of your spine. I think the article said all that was needed was 15mm of compression to cause damage. Bending your neck in any direction was far less likely to cause an issue. The point the article made was unless your helmet sits on your neck brace, it is unlikely to offer the correct protection in terms of preventing spinal compression, which was the key cause of spinal damage.
Yeah i have read the same. Given the 2R chin guard is removable I'm not sure it would offer the same rigidity when coming in contact with the neck brace during a crash. I would think you would be better off with a proper full face and a neck brace that integrate well together. Then perhaps a open face for less risky rides.

Duane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a 2R, I also have a leatt and a Fox full face. I don't use the brace and 2R together, I don't feel they are suited with the size/shape and fastening system, the detachable chin guard is not the issue for me.

kane1174

Likes Bikes
Understand that the neck brace won't stop all injuries, but should help in accidents where the damage is from side impact (as mine was), although I know the chance of me falling the exact way is extremely unlikely. It's just going to be a confidence thing for when I start riding again.

I have a 2R, I also have a leatt and a Fox full face. I don't use the brace and 2R together, I don't feel they are suited with the size/shape and fastening system, the detachable chin guard is not the issue for me.
That's what I was wondering, if they worked together with the helmet shape maybe being different with it not a certified full face helmet.

Might look at the Met Parachute with the brace, will see how I feel when I'm all healed up.
Funny thing is my new bike turns up this week so I get to stare at it for the next few months, so can't wait to get back on just going to be nervous for awhile.

Cheers guys

jarrod839

Banned
correct and I was told the same thing by a rep from leatt when i had my leatt fitted. And he told me not all helmets are designed to work with the leatt brace and told me that when ever buying a new helmet make sure u have no more than two fingers space between all contact points of the brace and helmet.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
Understand that the neck brace won't stop all injuries, but should help in accidents where the damage is from side impact (as mine was), although I know the chance of me falling the exact way is extremely unlikely. It's just going to be a confidence thing for when I start riding again.

That's what I was wondering, if they worked together with the helmet shape maybe being different with it not a certified full face helmet.

Might look at the Met Parachute with the brace, will see how I feel when I'm all healed up.
Funny thing is my new bike turns up this week so I get to stare at it for the next few months, so can't wait to get back on just going to be nervous for awhile.

Cheers guys
Hope you bounce back from it soon mate

I'll be able to tell you in the next few weeks if the Met works with a brace, as I'm looking to get a brace before I head out to Green Valley at the end of the month. While the Met isn't a proper full face in respect to say a TLD evo I have used mine out on a lot of DH trails & have confidence in its abilities. It does get a bit warm on hot days but has never been unbearable, from the past year of use I honestly have nothing bad to say about it.

kane1174

Likes Bikes
Hope you bounce back from it soon mate

I'll be able to tell you in the next few weeks if the Met works with a brace, as I'm looking to get a brace before I head out to Green Valley at the end of the month. While the Met isn't a proper full face in respect to say a TLD evo I have used mine out on a lot of DH trails & have confidence in its abilities. It does get a bit warm on hot days but has never been unbearable, from the past year of use I honestly have nothing bad to say about it.
Hopefully back on the bike in about 5 weeks so I'm keen to hear how it works with the brace. Would be great if you could post up your results.
Cheers

DamionGiersch

Likes Bikes
If you're open to a different helmet, then the Met Parachute is an option. This is from the Met webpage:

"COMPATIBILITY: Compatible with most available neck braces and goggles. We do advise you to try on before purchase."

I have recently been diagnosed with bulged discs in my neck, so if I ever get back on a mountain bike I will be looking to pair an Atlas neck brace with my Met Parachute.

DamionGiersch

Likes Bikes
So the MET fits with a EVS RC brace, this is my "until i have a spare $400 for a leatt" brace

https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/evs-rc-evolution-neck-brace

The EVS brace is bulky in comparison to the leatt braces, its a little restrictive but not a bad as I thought. With a lower profile brace leatt, alpinestar the fit will be heaps nicer.
That's great news. I hadn't looked at the EVS brace, and it's nice to see another option.

Are you planning on wearing your EVS brace and Met Parachute for all rides - trail, XC, etc.? If yes, would love to see a post ride report on comfort, heat build up, visibility, any restrictions, etc..

Cheers

Mrlinderman

Likes Dirt
I have a Super 2R on order. love the concept of removable chin guard but if your doing some more downhill orientated and heavy trails I would recommend a full face downhill certified helmet and brace over the 2R, the 2R though is mint for Enduro or most gravity Enduro riding, its just not downhill certified for racing.

Anthony B

Likes Dirt
That's great news. I hadn't looked at the EVS brace, and it's nice to see another option.

Are you planning on wearing your EVS brace and Met Parachute for all rides - trail, XC, etc.? If yes, would love to see a post ride report on comfort, heat build up, visibility, any restrictions, etc..

Cheers
Only planning to use it on more DH/free ride trails to be honest. I'm headed to green valley at the end of the month & taking my DH bike & Sam, taking the brace for the more burly looking trails there.