Beginners Guide to Enduro

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I reckon most XC riders and race organisers should have a look at this.

Beginners-Guide-to-Enduro-What-the-hell-is-it

What is called Enduro here, is really just long distance XC. "Enduro" is a term already used for a particular format used everywhere but here. I have nearly been caught out more than once looking to race a PROPER Enduro format, only to find it is a 100km XC race for 29ers, 650b, Hardtail, lycra runts who weight 50kgs.

I would like to see uniformity in the way races are branded.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I understand the issue, but what's wrong with just adding "Downhill, Gravity or Cross Country" before the use of the word Enduro. Every single race I've ever entered I've done the research before I enter so I know what I'm up for. Seems simple enough to me, but I can understand how some (who don't check) may get caught out.

Yippee_Ki_YayMF

Likes Dirt
I understand the issue, but what's wrong with just adding "Downhill, Gravity or Cross Country" before the use of the word Enduro. Every single race I've ever entered I've done the research before I enter so I know what I'm up for. Seems simple enough to me, but I can understand how some (who don't check) may get caught out.
I haven't been caught out because I have checked. But I have heard of people who haven't. I just hate seeing flyers or advertisement of an event pertaining to be Enduro when it is actually a XC race.

I don't know why I have a bee in my bonnet about it, but I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

akashra

Eats Squid
I don't quite understand the point of the article
We use 'Enduro' to refer to any event where you would be expected to do more than what the rules define for Olympic format. In a specific enduro event though (non-XCM), the event finish time is defined, not arbitrary, and there is no prescribed distance. That is, in XCO, we define the number of laps or distance for the event. In the enduro format, a winner would have to do as many laps as they can within the prescribed 3, 4, 6, 8, 12, howevermany hours.

If you really want something to get all uppity about when it comes to different cultures calling the same thing a different name, get on to the Americans with how they define Soft Drink. Or Soda. Or Pop.

paulb

Likes Dirt
First I've heard that motorbike enduros don't time uphill sections....

I guess the organisers here also thought their long XC races resembled motorbike enduros. I entered the 'Annual FGP Melbourne 12hr Mountain Bike Enduro' in 2004 - I think the term was probably already in use for these before 2003 when the French decided to call rally section like super-ds super enduros.

As the usage changes the international usage may dominate too but it's a little churlish to claim the old usage is wrong

Anyway does anyone ever enter a race without having a look at the track description?

JBR

Likes Dirt
I just lament that I'd much rather be doing the enduros in the article than the current aussie style xc events, however options don't really exist.

Sigh.