Bargain buys thread

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt

If anyone is having trouble guesstimating their pressures to give them some sort of consistency with their riding then this is for you .. or perhaps you have a friend who thinks a quick tyre squeeze is good enough only to later find they were running grossly inadequte pressures , this is for them...
I happened to just buy this exact pressure gauge from Pushys last week, not convinced it is that great.
Would recommend the Topeak if people are looking

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy

If anyone is having trouble guesstimating their pressures to give them some sort of consistency with their riding then this is for you .. or perhaps you have a friend who thinks a quick tyre squeeze is good enough only to later find they were running grossly inadequte pressures , this is for them...
Mtb $35
Bb $27

Also ships free at $39 not $99

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Hmmm, I wonder who?

Said friend needs to worry more about re-taping their rear rim than needing a pressure gauge.
You guys need to get serious and up your game!

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/certa-4-wheel-smart-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system/

While you're at it, you could get some data logging going on the phone and post it up here so we can all give you the most appropriate advice.
Don't like the look of em? Then run them inside the tyre by taping to the rim and mount tyre over the top, donesky.

dirtdad

Wants to be special but is too shy
Don't like the look of em? Then run them inside the tyre by taping to the rim and mount tyre over the top, donesky.
Not sure if serious... But got me thinking. Figure out a way to block the sealant, and then incorporate into an insert cutout for mounting?

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I blew a tire off a rim when the digital pressure gauge told me I needed more air. I went back to the thumb test and have only destroyed 1 rim not running enough air so far.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My pump says I use roughly 20psi in the front and 25psi in rear.
The above mentioned pressure gauge tells me I have 11psi & 16psi.

At least the difference is consistent and it passes the thumb test

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Lezyne digital pumps used to be bought for $50-$60 from Ze Germans, both my pumps and Topeak gauge are within 2psi of each other.

Sadly but not surprisingly fckn corona has elevated the price as they are in short supply.

dazz

Downhill Dazz
Not sure if serious... But got me thinking. Figure out a way to block the sealant, and then incorporate into an insert cutout for mounting?
Was not serious. But if you did want to do it, I'd try fitting a balloon (full of air without actually being blown up, or blown up a small amount) over the end of it. Once the pressure inside the tyre is higher than that inside the balloon, less than 0.5psi, you'll be reading the tyre pressure beyond that threshold.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I bought the Topeak gauge years ago when I bought the Muru. Nothing else I had would read to 4psi, my old old huge dial trials bike boudon tube gauge now reads 11 whether connected to a valve or not. And it weren't presta anyway.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
I think @beeb needs to release his patented 'squeeze-o-beeber'(TM): a selection of rubbery blobs, lovingly calibrated to reflect all trail and rider styles.
Ships in convenient travel case, available in white-wall limited edition hurry don't miss out

dazz

Downhill Dazz
I think @beeb needs to release his patented 'squeeze-o-beeber'(TM): a selection of rubbery blobs, lovingly calibrated to reflect all trail and rider styles.
Ships in convenient travel case, available in white-wall limited edition hurry don't miss out
Followed by the limited edition 'e-squeeze-o-beeb' (TM) which are specifically designed so that you too can obtain an accurate squeeze on your e-bike tyres in the same way that all those self-righteous analogue bike riders currently enjoy. A steal at only double the price of the acoustic version of the squeeze-o-beeber!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought the Topeak gauge years ago when I bought the Muru. Nothing else I had would read to 4psi, my old old huge dial trials bike boudon tube gauge now reads 11 whether connected to a valve or not. And it weren't presta anyway.
4psi was that the fat bike? How could you tell you had a flat? ha ha. I use to pump up to 10psi on the fatty then just let air out until it was soaking up the bumps and no longer bouncing me off the bike. Never know how low I got.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
4psi was that the fat bike? How could you tell you had a flat? ha ha. I use to pump up to 10psi on the fatty then just let air out until it was soaking up the bumps and no longer bouncing me off the bike. Never know how low I got.
You were probably at 6psi, 4psi is a nice pressure on soft sand and still quite firm on a 4.8" tyre.

On the Simpson races, we started on 2psi, it was at 5psi at the end of a stage rolling on 60°C sand, then in the morning after a 10°C night, the tyres were basically flat o_O