Bar Extensions...

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
Does any one have bar extensions?
if so.. what did you do and use to make them? because im finding my bars too short and i cant afford new dj bars at the moment. My dad said "weld some metal onto the end" but im not sure how long it would crack.

any one got any ideas or advice on how to make them?

Dante666

Likes Dirt
His health insurance definitely won't cover the cost of new bars though, whereas it might cover his new teeth. ;)
however, from personal experience, losing teeth is incredibly painful and not very fun.....especially without anaesthetic

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I have heard of people running their lock on grips a few mm's off the end and relying solely on the internal lock but there is no way I'd do it, or recommend it.
Fork out for some new bars even if only for the peace of mind.

BT146

Likes Bikes
You could actually extend your bars a little bit by sleeving it, however, unless you have a lot of scrap tubes lying around, you'd probably end up spending enough that you might as well buy new bars.

Thought about getting used bars?

Mitch.F

Likes Dirt
I have heard of people running their lock on grips a few mm's off the end and relying solely on the internal lock but there is no way I'd do it, or recommend it.
Fork out for some new bars even if only for the peace of mind.
I ran mine 25mm off the bars and had no problems but I crashed and the ends smashed off..... For a day I had my 27" bars at 30" with the lock on grips over hanging but that was pushing it.....

rstwosix

Likes Dirt
Go to my albums and you'll see a photo of alloy bar extensions. These were made for me by my metal worker friend - work fine. I would never go over 25mm extension per side and only use them on a good quality bar.
You can also buy bar extenders from Newcastle Racing Service.com in the USA.

Last edited:

adman

Likes Dirt
A friend of mine ran wooden dowel bar extensions for a laugh... I don't think he rode for very long with them.

With some good quality aluminum, you can machine some extra bits. You need at least 40mm inside the bars, and then only go 25 - 30mm extra either side. Any more is asking for trouble.

But it'd be quicker and easier to just buy new bars. Try selling your current ones, and you shouldn't make that much of a loss.

tidlibitz

Likes Dirt
i turned up some alu ones on the lathe at school. just got a bit of rod the same outside dia as my bars and turned down half of the peice to the indide dia so they slid right in i think i had 80mm in and 40mm out each side they were steel bars so at the end of the bar i just hit it with a punch and dinted the metal through locking the extention in place. still running good after 2 years

plum163

Likes Dirt
god knows where they've been.... I wuldn't risk it
Have to agree. I would never buy a second hand pair of handle bars. A half decent pair of bars is only like 50 bucks. Have a chat to you LBS and they might even be able to give you a pair of bars cheap that has been taken of a brand new bike. This way you will know that they are new and they won't snap when you do your first jump.

af_freeman13

Likes Dirt
na, he just knows a bloke that is really really good with metal, so i just thought i might see what other people did if they had bar extensions