AM Banshee Prime

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike is built and ready for some suspension tinkering on the trails from tomorrow. Very interested to see how this thing rides.

Was a bit of an impulse purchase based on Banshee offering 25% off, and me feeling that my RM Altitude was just too much bike for what I realistically ride 90% of the time (maybe time to admit I'm old and shit? :D).

Frame - Banshee Prime v3.2, size L, raw with some AMS urban-camo protection
Rear shock - Fox Float X Performance 135mm
Front shock/fork - Fox Factory 36. Was 140mm , changed to 160mm at install
Handlebars - Spank Spike 35
Stem - Diety 50mm
Headset - Cane Creek
Grips - PNW
Saddle - Ergon SM Comp
Seatpost - PNW Loam 200mm
Front brake - Code RS 200mm rotor
Rear brake - Code RS 180 mm rotor
Cranks - Shimano XT 170mm
Chainguide - DERT chain guide/bash guard
Chain - Shimano 12spd
Pedals - DMR Vault 12 (will probably change to clipless)
Front derailleur - N/A
Rear derailleur - Shimano XT 12spd
Front shifter - N/A
Rear shifter - Shimano XT
Cassette - Shimano SLX 12 spd 10-51
Front hub - Hunt
Rear hub - Hunt
Front rim - Hunt Trail wide 29
Rear rim - Hunt Trail wide 29
Spokes - whatever Hunt uses
Nipples - whatever Hunt uses
Tyres - Assegai 29x2.5 front, DHR2 29x2.3 rear
Tubes - nope, but there's some muc-off goo in there
Total weight - dunno, but doesn't feel too hefty

Some pics of the build plus it alongside it's banshee sibling

WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 11.57.12.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 11.57.113.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 11.57.122.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 11.57.114.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 11.57.115.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2023-06-09 at 11.56.546.jpg

Rorschach

Didnt pay $250 for this custom title
Not yet but there will be
Nice
I'm no a great rider by any stretch, but they climb really well and hitting the downs I feel you don't really have to think about the bike in the best way.

Where are you running the dropouts? I have them in the higher position as it makes the bike a bit more pedal friendly for the rockier flatter trails over here I tend to ride, but on smoother trails the low setting felt amazing

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Nice
I'm no a great rider by any stretch, but they climb really well and hitting the downs I feel you don't really have to think about the bike in the best way.

Where are you running the dropouts? I have them in the higher position as it makes the bike a bit more pedal friendly for the rockier flatter trails over here I tend to ride, but on smoother trails the low setting felt amazing
Good to know.
I set them up in the low position but I figured there'd be a bit of back-and-forth before I work out what feels best

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Looks great. I particularly like the DVO forks! Love that green.

The chain/bash guard on the Prime might need to be rotated a notch or two anti clockwise to make it more effective.

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks great. I particularly like the DVO forks! Love that green.

The chain/bash guard on the Prime might need to be rotated a notch or two anti clockwise to make it more effective.
Crap, your right. I swear I had that correct! :D :mad:

mike14

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just finished a shake down ride, mainly to make sure nothing fell off, and to start dialing in the suspension.
Very happy with how it all felt right off the bat.
Seated position for climbing is really good and I'm glad I went with the 50mm stem.
It pedals on the good side of neutral on the climbs and feels spritly enough. There were a few flatter sections where I felt it was wallowing a little, but I also wasn't putting much into the pedal strokes. May be something that can be fixed with a shock tweak but it felt good so I dont want to mess with it. There were also 2 obstacles where you remember how long this bike is, I thought I'd cleared them and the axle was still going over it :)
A bit annoyed I didn't bring the Agressor to see how it feels with a quicker tire.

By god it loves to corner and corner fast. On the first downwards run I was getting set for corners and then realising I was already through them! Lots of over steering as I get used to it and almost went OTB once. It finds speed very quickly and feels stable without being heavy.

Was only 15kms but lots of smiles (and no rock strikes!). Very happy camper right now

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Great build.

I've seen only a few Primes but never had a ride of one. Enjoy it and it sounds like you almost have it dialled in the way you like already.