Banshee Paradox V3

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
After wanting a hard tail for a long time and test riding quite a few, I had given up on anything off the shelf and was going to get a custom Ti frame from Waltly. I contacted the local distributor for Banshee but they had a long lead time on frames and I thought $1300 was a bit steep for an alloy frame when a custom Ti job would only be a little bit more.
Then FatMuz put his nearly new Paradox frame up on here for a great price and I'd had a couple of beers (great procrastination lubricator) so I purchased that. It's on the way to Melbourne with Couriers Please at the moment, so I expect it will turn up around Christmas time to the wrong address and bent like a fucking pretzel. Fingers crossed. In the meantime I've purchased all the other components so the build sheet looks like this and is in the hands of Australia Post:

Frame: Paradox V3 Large Yellow
Fork: Pike Ultimate 42mm with C1 air spring Black
Crank: XT 12 speed 165mm 28T
Rear Mech: XT 12 speed
Shifter: XT 12 speed
Bars: Rental 30mm rise 800mm
Stem: 35mm Rental Apex
Dropper: One Up 210mm
Brakes: Deore 4 spot - Super cheap so I'll see if they are any good. I'll put my Saint metal pads in and see how they go but I expect that they'll be fine and share all of the important components with the more expensive and blingy xt/xtr
Wheels: Not sure. I'll probably just use my carbon wheels off another bike and see how it goes and then keep my eyes open for a bargain.

If the postage gods are smiling on me I'll be able to ride it next weekend.

What it used to look like.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'll tell you now, your life will get just that little bit better riding that bike.

I really didn't like it at first and now I absolutely love it. And that journey to appreciation took 3 rides.

Definitely get some frame protection on it though. Mine's stayed looking ok as a result of it.

Looking forward to seeing the PYR and ride report.

Last edited:

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm between medium and large for this bike so I thought I'd bring the bars up a bit more. I've got a few other sets I can swap if it doesn't work.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Any particular areas I should be paying attention to for the frame protection?
Definitely the bottom of the downtube, chain and seat stays.

The real area which is difficult to protect is;
  1. The yoke between the rear wheel and seat tube
  2. The bracket between the bottom bracket and chainstays.

I've also done the top tube.
I went AMS Mountain Style but if doing it again would go SUP protection tape.

Very much the same, and more of it but for far less money. Find it on eBay.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well after shit canning Couriers Please they have proved me wrong! I was just wondering if I should sneak off from the office early and I met the driver as I was walking down the stairs.
FatMuz is a legend and has included all the little bits that come with the frame like ISCG tab thingo, paint, extra stickers and a spare hanger. After getting touched in the ass for a hanger on my son's bike last week ($100 fuck me) I'm loving a free hanger.
Changed my order for the handle bars down to 20mm rise, I've started second guessing myself now.
After seeing a couple of reviews it does seem the paint is pretty fragile on these, I'll look into the tape before I start putting it together. I've got a roll of stuff I use for cricket bats, I'll see how that goes.

FatMuz

Likes Dirt
Good to see it got there OK. I do tend to pack them knowing any sort of nutbag courier could be chucking it about.
Will be cool to see your finished build.
Wait till you lay eyes on my next sweet build... :p... although I'll try and keep it a bit longer.

Scotty675

Cable thief
Be very surprised if you don't love this bike after a couple of rides. I'd go frame protection. Doesn't worry me and I don't but I know most people like to protect there frames. Mines scratched up pretty good but I think it adds character.

blacksp20

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Be very surprised if you don't love this bike after a couple of rides. I'd go frame protection. Doesn't worry me and I don't but I know most people like to protect there frames. Mines scratched up pretty good but I think it adds character.
I’ve been told before that Banshees need battle scars.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looking at the frame, the paint really is thin. I'm considering giving a coat of clear VIM540 to give it some protection, I'll go and see my paint supplier this week and see what can be done.

ashes_mtb

Has preferences
I'd be wary of extratec/fibreglass tape, might go on fine, but the adhesives may not be great for a painted surface. Also leave a crapload of adhesive behind.
Yep, I'd avoid it like the plague. Removing that shit is an absolute pain.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pikes arrived today from Cyclinic along with the 2021 debonair thing and in theory a few bits will arrive this arvo from Bike Bug.

I'm still unsure about what spec I will go for on the wheels, there's not a lot of reasonably priced wheels around that fit the bill so I'll probably just end up getting another set from LB. Currently I have a set of 39mm wide wheels specced up which will be about $1300 landed and at 1690g and I can't see much from local retailers at that price point that's of any interest.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Paradox build ongoing....
Skyline GT-R build ongoing...

Life done right.
This is just what's in the 'clean' shed, you should see the dirty one where the actual work goes on (or doesn't go on since nothing ever gets done), projects galore.
In theory the Skyline will be leaving soon, just need to re-fabricate the intercooler brackets so they are square and finish off the Motec PDM wiring for the non critical stuff but not much has been done to it in the last 6 months so I really need to pull my finger out and stop riding so much.
Drive-train is still in Brisbane according to Auspost so my chances of riding it this weekend are not looking good.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
No chance of riding this on the weekend with Auspost operating to their normal levels of efficiency. Forks and drivetrain shipped from the same city on the same day but the forks arrived Tuesday and the drivetrain is still in Brisbane "being processed"
Anyone know what rear brake adapter I need for the back to run a 180mm rotor? It's an IS to post but I'm not sure on the size, after test fitting with a 160mm adapter it looks like I'll need a 200mm?